DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent tuesday installing a trailer brake controller in my 2004 1500. I loaded it with a 68 Plymouth satellite station wagon and drove all day and all night through some serious rain in Arkansas and crazy wind into Kansas. Trip took forever and a half because we had to drive slower and we stopped a lot but we arrived safe thanks to the Brake controller. It really saved my skin right after I got on the interstate with it.

For all you trailer towing maniacs, it was loaded butt-heavy.

Yeah.

The trailer rocked up on two wheels and nearly dumped the whole car off the side.:SHOCKED:pointed it in a straight line and used the Manual override on the trailer brakes. Reloaded the thing and got it front heavy like it should be, and it pulled like a dream and stopped on a dime.

Pictures of the install to come whenever I gather the motivation to go out in the -10 degree wind...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,102 Posts
Sounds a little harrowing in spots, but glad it seems to have worked out for ya'! :)

- Cajun :pepper:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I spent tuesday installing a trailer brake controller in my 2004 1500. I loaded it with a 68 Plymouth satellite station wagon and drove all day and all night through some serious rain in Arkansas and crazy wind into Kansas. Trip took forever and a half because we had to drive slower and we stopped a lot but we arrived safe thanks to the Brake controller. It really saved my skin right after I got on the interstate with it.

Yeah.

The trailer rocked up on two wheels and nearly dumped the whole car off the side.:SHOCKED:pointed it in a straight line and used the Manual override on the trailer brakes. Reloaded the thing and got it front heavy like it should be, and it pulled like a dream and stopped on a dime.

Pictures of the install to come whenever I gather the motivation to go out in the -10 degree wind...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'd be interested in seeing pics of your controller install when you get a chance. Glad to hear you made it safe and sound.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will take the time to get some good pics this coming week when I get back home from the christmas trip. Expect them monday. Hope everyone had a Christmas like no other!

·
Registered
852 Posts

Yeah.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Heaviest load I've hauled with my '03 Ram 1500 was around 5,400kg while the heaviest load for my '08 Ram 3500 was just a touch above 9,500kg. I'm absolutely certain that both loads were beyond the specs that Dodge recommends, but I couldn't care less. Most accidents involving trailers is due to inproper driving and improperly secured loads. Having trailer brakes and keeping your truck fully maintained can mean life or death.

BTW: -10 is nothing! We hit -43 with the windchill!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts