DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading and playing around with the intake on my Ram, I decided to remove the stovk tube that goes to the fender well and I purchased a 4" adapter, $5, and with very little trimming I installed a round peg in a square hole. Waiting on my $30 dollar Spectra intake hose ro run down to the blank where the tow hook would mount. I just could not see drilling a hole at the bottom of the airbox. I will take more pictures when I get the hose installed. This site is dangerous for the pocket book!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Nice work there. I'll mention one potential problem that's currently being discussed on jmr's thread on his original DIY setup. When you mount that inlet down low, and it's your only inlet, it could be more prone to draw water in some volume in a low water crossing and such. It's just something to be aware of. Those of us who've done something similar to jmr's mod retained the OEM inlet in the fender and just installed a second inlet. With two holes and one of them being up high, you won't draw any water if the lower opening gets submerged. Ford ran into this on some of their pickups where the only opening was down low. There were quite a few cases of hydraulic lock where water was pulled all the way up that lower intake opening and then into the engine. Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
747 Posts
This site is dangerous for the pocket book!!!
Yes very much so...........

Nice work there. I'll mention one potential problem that's currently being discussed on jmr's thread on his original DIY setup. When you mount that inlet down low, and it's your only inlet, it could be more prone to draw water in some volume in a low water crossing and such. It's just something to be aware of. Those of us who've done something similar to jmr's mod retained the OEM inlet in the fender and just installed a second inlet. With two holes and one of them being up high, you won't draw any water if the lower opening gets submerged. Ford ran into this on some of their pickups where the only opening was down low. There were quite a few cases of hydraulic lock where water was pulled all the way up that lower intake opening and then into the engine. Just something to be aware of.
IMO unless you are trying to cross a river, the filter element down low shouldnt be an issue.. 99% of daily drivers wont have an issue..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts