DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Hello... This is my first post on The Ram forum.. I'm a senior member over on ChargerFourmz as "Chargeyota" I was a lvl 5 Supporting member but I decided to bump it down so I can support both Ram and the Charger forums. I'm a lvl 1 on both now. :smileup:

My first baby, is my beloved 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 with a 5.2L V8

My second baby, is my beloved 2012 Dodge Charger SXT with a 3.6L Pentastar V6

Many mods on both vehicles.. Check out my profile on here and on Chargerfourmz for more info.

ISSUE
Now.. I'm gonna put you guys to the test. I can't for the life of me figure out this issue I've been having.. Every time I turn my key I get about 4 cranks before it finally turns over. I recently replaced my alternator as it wasn't giving much output anyway, new alternator is doing it's job, my battery is good, ALL connections are perfect. (to the batt, alt, starter and all the grounds) I recently tried something that makes me think it isn't electrical.. I fired up the truck, let it idle for 20 seconds.. Shut it off, turned the key right away and it started no problem.. So fuel issue right? My first guess was the fuel injectors.. I replaced them a while back but decided to check anyway.. Checked resistance with my multimeter, all were good and connections were tight, listened for the click (easier said then done) all seemed to be working okay. No fuel leaks.. It's most likely my worst fear.. The fuel pump.. Easy fix I know, but a bitch to get to! I turned my key to ON (not run) and the fuel pump hums.. I fired it up and I can hear a hum over the motor..

Looks like I'll be getting a new Delphi fuel pump.. Would appreciate any input.. Anything I missed or suggestions.. As a thank you in advance here's some ass...:Wow1:

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Nice, er, pair and ass.:smileup:

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I...Uh...

(Truck, truck, truck)

Okay. If you're going to do the pump I strongly suggest sliding the bed back. Easily done with to people. Remove the 3-7mm nuts inside the gas cap. Unplug the taillights, and unscrew the license plate finish panel. Remove the 6 bolts holding the bed in place. Trust me it's a time saver.

However, before you do that I'd check the crank (not cam) position sensor on the back of the passenger's side of the engine where the trans meets the block, just under the head. There may be some debris on it (magnetic) and it could prolong the start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
However, before you do that I'd check the crank (not cam) position sensor on the back of the passenger's side of the engine where the trans meets the block, just under the head. There may be some debris on it (magnetic) and it could prolong the start.
Good call, I will check that. Thank you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pump might be kicking in like mine was but the fuel pressure regulator (on pump assembly) could be making hard start. It's easy to check just get a fuel pressure tester and hook right up on driver side fuel rail there's a pressure port should be around 50 psi holding solid and should hold pressure when key is turned off.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Check for corrosion at ALL connections, 12v and ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts