DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had this truck long and it is a 2 owner truck ( I'm the 2cnd owner). The engine and drivetrain are strong and all stock; there's nothing wrong with it I just want to build it up. I would like to lift it, clean up the interior, and add horsepower..... I just can't figure which to start on first and what it's gonna take as far as mechanical know-how... any pointers are welcome...I have attached a picture of my goat for further direction and/or criticism...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Is it an auto or manual? But from the looks it was well cared for. As long as drive train is solid and compession is good mods are fairly ez and in some cases can increase economy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Is it an auto or manual? But from the looks it was well cared for. As long as drive train is solid and compession is good mods are fairly ez and in some cases can increase economy.

Its a automatic... it had 73,xxx when I bought it last January. right now it has a straight exhaust and when idleing I can smell some unburnt fuel so I think your right a exhaust system will probally help in that dept and sound alittle deeper with better tone... I looked up the flowmaster 40 series 1 in 2 out but alot of people tell me they have a bad "drone" at highway speeds...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took advantage of working nights offshore and read through the forum abit and now feel comfortable in asking this question as many others have.... As stated before I have the 5.9L with a automatic trans.. my fuel milage on the highway cruising is @ 12 mpg... is this abnormal? Tire pressure is correct, I have coasted a good ways so there's no brake hangups of any kind... Is my straight exhaust the culprit or is there anything else I can try?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey boss,

Back in the day when my truck was running properly, I was getting 12mpg as well. Didn't matter if it was highway or city. I think that is pretty average for the 5.9 in our trucks in good working order. I also got the Flowmaster Super 40, one in two out. It makes the truck sound like a beast. Personally, I love it, including the highway sounds. I got a link to a video of it under the 5.9 Mod/Exhaust thread somewhere.

I've read on here that alot of people do the minor bolt on mods for some quick torque and hp, and it's relatively cheap. All I've done so far is the exhaust. But I got a throttle body in the mail that I'm going to modify, and eventually do something with the air intake too.

Tell ya what though, I've learned alot from the people here. They are all great and more than helpful. Welcome to the Ram family and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Throttle body mods are ez even with stock throttle body. Look under cheep mods 2 it's a step by step way to improve response. And add a spacer. Also a k& n drop in, cheeper then the cold air set up and just as good. It will cut on intake noise. But if you do tb mods it will still have quite a nice howl with stock box. But straght pipes arnt the cause of low economy. Just nature of the beast. I think its just extra drag of 4x4. Also a tuner will help. Can also be handy for codes if you get the right one. And why I ask if its an auto is that seemingly is a big weak point. So do recerch on improvement if you really build the truck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JSSmith and Ramfam... I appreciate the comments... I think I'll do the drop in K&N and the TB Spacer when I get in this week... I will post pics as soon as I get'em in... thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If you do spacer this week you should do tb mod as well. Also remember to torque tb down I think it's 8 in lb. or you might have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes a little fuel wise will know better when i just run the truck. right now be doing odds and ends to it so truck has been running alot in driveway as doing things. but even with it idling in driveway alot the computer in my overhead console is saying about 1- 1.5 per gal more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't get to install the spacer or the K&N due to getting sidetracked on my radio... the prior owner had a Dual H\U and I'm not sure about the wiring.. I found a generic wiring diagram for the audio and still came up with extra wires... now the radio functions fine but I have to reset the settings every time I crank the truck....FRUSTRATED.... I can't find a detailed diagram anywhere. Now I'm back offshore for another 7 days and still frustrated about this radio situation... any help?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
You'll get different opinions from everyone, but the TB spacer on mine only gives it a "cool" whistling sound like it's got a small turbo charger. I took it off once and put it back on with no noticable difference but sound. I am, however running 35" tires and a 3" body lift.....it'd take a lot to notice a difference. I did a CAI using a Napa round air filter

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here's what the round old school air filter looks like. Less mess under the hood. I removed the rubber shroud on the sides of the rad. to let more cool air in to feed it.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts