DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Night Edition Etorque
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, today was my first time ive ever taken my truck out on the beach. i need some help though. In soft sand, with this lo pro tires, what should i air down to? also any tips for driving on the beach will help!

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
WIth a 4x4 you shouldnt need to air down. I never do. Just dont spin it too much and you will be fine.

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,436 Posts
I agree ^^^^. Sweet looking truck and cool pics, some calendar quality there! :smileup:

- Cajun

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I wouldn't air down at all, I never do here on the beaches. I also would hit the big dunes! Oh and wash the truck really good when done, the salt air will make everything sticky. And get ready for sand inside too!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I always stop at the first car wash and rinse rinse rinse and rinse some more. Mostly wheelwells and as far as I can reach under the truck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
on one beach here in MA you have to air down to like 15 psi i believe. they won't let you out there if you don't. they allso make you take a shovel, a board or piece of metal, recovery strap and a few other things.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I always stop at the first car wash and rinse rinse rinse and rinse some more. Mostly wheelwells and as far as I can reach under the truck.

sometimes i take a lawn sprinkler and turn it on low under my truck. the kind that kids will play in, shoots the water up, not to the side. my truck doesn't fit in most car washes and i have found it the best way to get mud, salt and sand off the bottom.

Reactions: AutoAnything

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Be sure to pay special attention to the areas around the diff's driveshafts and hubs.

Sand can get into those seals and chew 'em up in just a couple hundred miles.

No Bueno.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree that you shouldn't have to air down with a 4-wheel drive. when you drive 6 miles out on the beech in real soft sugary sand the engine has to work that much harder, and starts getting alittle hot. I usually go down to 16lbs. The truck doesn"t break a sweat and boogies!!

·
Registered
15,703 Posts
in the sand you were in, you might not even need 4wd if you are easy on the gas, in soft deep sand, you really need a more aggressive tire, you need to air down and use 4wd low.

·
Registered
277 Posts
On the long island sand you should ALWAYS air down, why fight driving through the soft stuff and risk getting stuck when it only takes a few minutes to air down. I usually go down to 18-20 psi and run in 4-low

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Great pics.....Truck looks really good.....I would listen to Armyofone....Make sure you spray it down really good......

·
Registered
839 Posts
depends on how soft and deep the sand is.
Agree!

In the type of sand in the picture, no airing down needed.

But in really soft deep sand, or the red coarse "sand" which is more shells that sand, you need max flotation. I usually air down my tires, whatever the vehicle, to about 20-22. That usually does the trick.

And, as was said, easy onto the gas and easy on the stopping......

I cant wait for my annual OBX trip to the beach with the new Ram!

·
Registered
666 Posts
When I lived in Arizona we *always* aired down to get better flotation over the sandy soil... guys that were running bead locks routinely went as low as 5 psi. Most of us aired down to around 12-15 psi and the difference in traction was like night and day. Especially on sand or soft sandy soil, airing down gives your rig a bigger footprint and helps keep you from digging in.

Try it both ways, you'll notice the difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts