DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first truck so apologies if these are dumb questions:

1. 4x2 vs 4x4. I don't go off road and I live in Austin TX so there's very little inclement weather normally, but I do plan to at least visit Colorado and other places that get snow. Also I've heard that 4x4s hold their value better. That said, 4x2s get better gas mileage, but would it matter much if I used the 4x4 in 4x2 mode? Also is there a risk to the system if I mostly only use 4x2 (ie can the parts just fail from disuse)? Also on holding the value, does it even out as the truck gets older or does the difference in value become more stark (I plan on keeping the truck for about 7 years before trading/upgrading)

2. Axle Ratio. Does the higher end axle ratio significantly affect the top speed of the truck?

3. Air ride. Are there any concerns about the air suspension? I've never owned an air suspension before so I'm curious how reliable they are.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
You will be in 4x2 99% of your driving, having a 4x4 truck spending 100% of it's time on pavement defeats the purpose of owning a 4x4.
The 4x4 truck is heavier so it uses more gas to get going, when 4x4 parts break it's more expensive to replace. Heavier truck reduces your payload capacity.

The extra money you saved from buying a 4x2 instead of the 4x4 could be used to by upgrade parts to personalize your new truck.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Buy a truck how you’re going to use it most of the time.
Yes maybe a 4x4 would be worth more when you trade or sell, but it costs more too. Probably not as big of a deal in Texas with a 4x2 as it is here in PA. Not many 4x2 trucks sold here.
I have the air suspension on my current truck and on my last truck. IMHO, I wouldn’t consider the truck if it didn’t have it. But I will say that I do go off road for my job everyday and I will raise up the suspension. When I park, I lower it all the way down. Plus my wife has had a few Grand Cherokees with the air ride.
One suggestion is to consider the Rambox option. Have had 3 with that and I use them everyday.
If you do go 4x4, you don’t harm anything driving around in 4x2. I do it everyday and only put it in 4x4 when needed.
Hope this helps, BF

·
Registered
324 Posts
Oh, axle ratios. Hemi with the 8 speed transmission come with 3.21 or 3.92
3.21 is better suited for highway use and your mileage may be a little better
3.92 will make the truck feel like it’s quicker, but you will be turning more rpms so it may use a little more gas.
I have had both. Both are good. If you have a trailer you pull, maybe go with the 3.92s. If not, 3.21s are fine. Not sure if either one has a higher top speed. I would think it isn’t going to matter.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey guys,

This is my first truck so apologies if these are dumb questions:

1. 4x2 vs 4x4. I don't go off road and I live in Austin TX so there's very little inclement weather normally, but I do plan to at least visit Colorado and other places that get snow. Also I've heard that 4x4s hold their value better. That said, 4x2s get better gas mileage, but would it matter much if I used the 4x4 in 4x2 mode? Also is there a risk to the system if I mostly only use 4x2 (ie can the parts just fail from disuse)? Also on holding the value, does it even out as the truck gets older or does the difference in value become more stark (I plan on keeping the truck for about 7 years before trading/upgrading)

2. Axle Ratio. Does the higher end axle ratio significantly affect the top speed of the truck?

3. Air ride. Are there any concerns about the air suspension? I've never owned an air suspension before so I'm curious how reliable they are.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
My 0.02 cents...

I only use 4WD perhaps 5% of the time. I go on campouts often, with my soon to be Eagle Scout son, so in in rural roads or off-road it’s nice to have.

I have the 3.21 rear end.
I don’t tow, but benefit from better fuel economy. Even with it, the Hemi is very quick. If you do tow, you may want lower gearing.

I got a RAM because it’s the only pickup truck with air suspension. Rides and soaks up bumps better than my Mercedes. The four corner leveling is great as well. You can fill the back of the bed to capacity and it will not sag.
Also, the ability to lower and raise the suspension on demand is very handy.

Cheers,
Neurobit

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts
If you are going to be Rock Crawling or towing a travel trailer, i would consider the 3.92 rear differential
If you are not towing anything on a regular basis, the 3.21 will suit your driving style

No matter which ratio you go with, if it is a 2 wheel drive, do get the Anti Slip Rear differential, it is worth every penny if you ever drive on wet clay or any mud

I see that you are living in Austin Tx.
you may find several 4X4s on the dealership lots & not many 2 wheel drives
4X4s are heavier & will eat more gas, just because of the extra weight

for instance a
2018 Ram quad cab 5.7L 2 wheel drive with the 6'4" box weighs 5456 pounds
2018 Ram quad cab 5.7L 4 wheel drive with the 6'4" box weighs 5687 pounds
( i am not sure the chart is correct, i would have guessed the 4x4 would be at least 800 pounds heavier )

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
My 0.02 cents...

I only use 4WD perhaps 5% of the time. I go on campouts often, with my soon to be Eagle Scout son, so in in rural roads or off-road it’s nice to have.

I have the 3.21 rear end.
I don’t tow, but benefit from better fuel economy. Even with it, the Hemi is very quick. If you do tow, you may want lower gearing.

I got a RAM because it’s the only pickup truck with air suspension. Rides and soaks up bumps better than my Mercedes. The four corner leveling is great as well. You can fill the back of the bed to capacity and it will not sag.
Also, the ability to lower and raise the suspension on demand is very handy.

Cheers,
Neurobit

Congratulations ot your son on his accomplishment

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the great replies. I found a 4x2 near me for what appears to be a relative steal. The only thing missing of the features I want is the trailer brake controller, but as I understand it I can add this later with relative ease as the wiring is already there even if you don't have the actual controller piece (can anyone confirm this?). Based on your feedback and my likely use, I think this is the right way to go, and leaves me a good chunk of change to add custom stuff like a tonneau cover and such.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Trailer brake controller can be added. You can purchase and install, or have the dealer do it. You will need to have it at the dealer to have it flashed and added to the truck. Then it will operate as if was factory installed.
Maybe negotiate something when buying?

·
Registered
771 Posts
No need for 4WD, as you've described your intended use. 2WD has less parts to break, lighter and will get better gas mileage. Go with the 3:21 rear end. The RAM box is great (Assuming you don't need to haul much in the bed or want a cap). I love my RAM box...but it is not for secure storage. It locks, but the lids are flimsy and can be pried open with a large screwdriver. Air suspension is nice on 4WD, but RAM's version is very sensitive to temperature and uneven surfaces (won't move if the corner sensors are in different positions because one wheel is high or low, and condensation freezes in the air lines in really cold temps). If you go with 4WD, skip the air suspension, unless you have a physical limitation that makes lowering the truck so it's easy to get in an out of, and advantage.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
OP you're in Austin TX, which is pretty close to San Antonio where I'm from. My dad bought a 2wd and has been stuck 0 times in 116,000 miles since he bought it in 2009, and he doesn't even have limited slip. I got a 4wd because I might get stationed where I need it-which happened a few months ago, but bu wife's Durango is a RWD and she's never missed the driven front wheels. 2wds have a farther lock to lock in the steering so they actually turn tighter too.

2wds also get more payload because they have a few hundred pounds less because they don't have a front diff, transfer case, front drive shaft, or CV axles. That also means you have less maintenance to do and it costs less. The 2wd suspension is way easier to work on, we changed my dad's struts in his driveway and didn't even need a spring compressor

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, I buy 4x4s because I might need it. I'm in NC and it only snows once or twice a year. Well, a few years back, we had a hurricane and I had to go get my stranded daughter. Police were stationed at high standing water and would turn you around if you had a car and would only allow you to wade through it if you had 4x4. Now did the 4x4 truly matter? I don't know. But he made me put it in 4x4 and I went on my way.

This past January, my mother in law had an attempted break in and someone shot into her home 3 times. I had to go get her in the middle of a snow storm. It took me about 1.5 hours to travel a 20 minute routine route. To NC standards, it was a tough trip. Getting "up" the incline in her road....no doubt, I needed 4x4. The following days, I went back and forth to Lowes getting plywood and other temporary repairs for her doors. I had it in 4x4 auto the entire time and found that to be the best setting on my GMC. BTW, I was in the Army 20 years, so I've seen much worse snow than NC.

Did I waste money? Nope, not to me. I did get 3.21 because I only have a 6x12 enclosed trailer I use a few times a year for my Harley. I did get anti slip diff.

Shoot.....my wife and I are empty nesters and we have a full size truck that I have a cover on the bed and only tow a couple times a year. Truth be told, alot of truck owners are like me. We just like trucks, but don't really "work" them. So, one could say I wasted alot of money when I could just buy a car. Point is ......get what you want and what you think you may need. When you need it, you need it.......even if just a few times. I'll need it next month when I move my daughter back into her dorms.

Coming from crappy GMC springs, I found coil suspension of the Ram to be superior comfort. I did have a limited with air for a day and played around with it. I went back and forth and just found the coils to be extremely nice and I ordered without air. Some say 4x4 is more parts to break.....that's how I felt about air suspension.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you don't intend to tow, go with the 3.21. Even in 4X4, these get pretty decent mileage like 20 mpg all day long in 2WD with the V6 and higher on highway runs. And the 8 speed tranny compensates to a great degree for the lack of the 3.92 rear end. Even with a trailer under 5K, the V6 3.21 is a great combo. Higher weight go with a 5.7 and a 3.92 and suck it up or rather the 5.7 will suck it up while towing. I rent V6's with the 3.21 rear end when I visit home (I have a 3.92/5.7) and have always been pleasantly surprised by what they got and their MPG even with 4X4. The 4X2's are amazing on the MPG side.

I am kind of like go with 4WD in case you need it. For example, in Colorado some of the most fun is off road on varying degrees of condition national forest roads. Some are Subaru roads and then some are you wish you had a 4WD truck roads. Another example is like in the Moab area. There are some road that SAY 4WD ONLY and you really want to try some of those for fun and beauty around Canyonlands in particular. If you ain't got it, you ain't going unless you want to spend a bunch of $$ on a rental.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I live in Austin, TX which has some of the heaviest traffic around. When the road is wet, 4wd allows you to cross a road when the tires would just spin in 2wd. Plus, it's worth a lot more at sale time.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
4x4 doesn't help you get through standing water, when Hurricane Matthew blew through NC a couple years ago I stayed in 2wd the entire time. Better tires will help you on wet roads as much as 4wd will.

The only times I really use 4wd are when I drive on the beach and when I go hunting. Back in TX most of the roads going hunting were caliche anyway though and you don't need 4wd on that

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in North Georgia and while many people have 4X4 I have a 4X2 and have never found the need to have a 4X4. It rarely snows and I am very happy and get good gas mileage...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have air ride and I love it. There are a couple of downsides. Apparently in extremely cold weather there were reports of it not working properly in older generations. The new setup is a bit different but not sure if cold weather affects it. Also if you plan to lift or level the truck, there are no kits right now other than links that trick the sensors but these could affect ride quality depending on how high you go.

I would also recommend the Mopar lifetime maximum care warranty if you plan on keeping the truck a long time. I drive about 30,000 miles a year so it was worth it. I got mine for $2,750 for a 100 deductible plan. 200 deductible was $2,450.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts