DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a 25 mile trip with my 5300# camper yesterday. I was impressed with the power of the Hemi and braking of the new brake controller I installed! I was not impressed with the 650# + on the rear even with WDH. I was about 2" low on the rear of the truck, maybe I did not raise the bars enough, not sure. Going to put air bags on for sure. Just did not feel right after towing with my Tahoe with Air Ride suspension. Question is which do you guy's recommend?

·
Registered
318 Posts
i just installed a set of air lift 1000 bags yesterday, but haven't towed with them on yet. install was fairly easy except one of the cheap hose clamps broke and had to run out and buy more. if i was doing it over i would get real 1/4 inch hose clamps, not the pinch on kind. you can get them from amazon for $87 with free shipping part no. 60818. search air lift on this forum and there are several threads about them including info on install.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had to tow my 2003 srt-4 the other night. I wasnt to happy about the rear end being so low. I kinda miss the old leaf spring 04 lol. had no complants on the power. This new gen hemi has power everywhere.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It seems odd that your WDH wouldn't address that issue. Neither your tongue weight nor your overall weight sound too heavy for your WDH to handle. My TT weighs about 5000#, and my tongue weight is a little less than yours. Even without a WDH, my truck didn't sag much at all. I have Airlift 1000 bags and had them set at about 5 psi...the minimum. I went ahead and pumped them up to about 15 just for peace of mind. The bags are nice insurance, and I'd think with your WDH and the bags, you should ready for eventually...and they're very inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've heard that air bag helpers and a weight distribution hitch you should be good to go. i know im getting both the minute my truck comes in.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have yet to hook up my 17' hybrid trailer. I believe it's only 2600lbs dry and I have a WDH so I'm expecting not to need airbags. I also ordered a fiberglass cap. We shall see how much she will sag soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
To TNC, yea I think you are right, I did not do the bars correctly, they should have worked ok, but I am getting Air Lift tomorrow, I had Air Ride on my Tahoe and it felt great, but on hills the Tahoe would scream to keep a decent speed. That is not a problem for my Hemi!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but does my truck already have something similar to the TIMBREN SES bumpers? Or is it just a common axle bumper stop?

·
Registered
251 Posts
So, why wouldn't Dodge install something similar in their trucks? They can put a towing package, and an integrated brake controller. You'd think that they would be thinking outside the box and also put something to stop the rear end sag. I have a four point equilizer for my trailer which should take care of the sag (haven't tried it yet with my new truck). Would I be needing something like an air bag or a Timbren now that I have a truck with coils instead of leafs?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was concerned about towing my trailer that has a 700# tongue weight and threw a set of Airlift 1000's in. Here is a picture as I brought the trailer home, without the WDH bars installed, and 25 lbs in the bags. After the picture was taken I let more air out and it (the trailer) still sat a little high, I need to get a different drop hitch (8"to a 10"). I towed the truck home without the equalizer bars on for shit's and giggles and was surprised how comfortable it was. I have to revise the airbag inflation point from a single T and split them, this being a recommendation from my RV expert... Can't wait to do a little towing and camping...

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tow a camper too about 6k wet. Did you try to lower the ball mount on the WDH ??

I always have to play with mine to get things right.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is the only thing that I don't like about my Ram - the coil rear suspension. I go sit on the tailgate and you can feel it sag down.

Towed a 5x8 Uhaul trailer that we loaded all the way up and probably put another 200 - 300 lbs in the bed. Had a tiny bit of rake left. Don't have airbags.

·
Registered
18,033 Posts
It's a weight distributing hitch...no worries lol
noob question again...is this different than the trailer brake control?
If so, is this a standard option on the ram (weight distributing hitch) or something that needs to be purchased?

I ask, because I will want to tow things once I get my ram, but need to fully understand this....

thanks

again :LOL:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts