DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evenin. So doing homework on for preparing to buy a travel trailer brings me to the question,
If..
Hitch weight -15% of load
Tow Capacity is 8800 somethin,
If I'm pullin 8000 that would make the hitch weight 1200 leavin me with 150# of payload on a 1350# capacity....
Really?

·
Registered
738 Posts
If I'm pullin 8000 that would make the hitch weight 1200 leavin me with 150# of payload on a 1350# capacity....
Really?
Really.
And you still have fuel and people and any cargo unaccounted for.
It adds up quick. With an 8k trailer, even if that's wet weight, it's gonna be real hard to sneak in under payload max.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wondering which RAM is that? 1500 are higher than 1350lbs and a Rebel is much lower than that.
By the way, Payload already includes a full tank of gas, and all other fluids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Evenin. So doing homework on for preparing to buy a travel trailer brings me to the question,
If..
Hitch weight -15% of load
Tow Capacity is 8800 somethin,
Really?
Really. And be careful using dry trailer weight for your calc. Load up on hitch, propane, batteries, food and water and you may have an additional thousand pounds in the trailer.

I would get a lighter trailer or a truck with more payload. Even if you manage to work some magic and squeak in under the wire, towing when at max payload is much less pleasant than having a solid buffer between you and the max.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hope you are still "preparing to buy a travel trailer ".
I took a financial bath trading in our first trailer for our second for this exact reason.
Started with a dry weight trailer of 7200#, which was about 8400# loaded.
When we finally admitted our mistake and looked to change, I capped our search at 6,000#, knowing we would have it at 7200# when it was loaded.
Even then, we had to be very careful about what else we put in our truck when towing.
One more person was MAX, with nothing in the bed.
Clothes were loaded in the camper.

To answer your question again: "Yes, Really.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts