DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, does any have a good, solid way to take off the dash bezel WITHOUT cracking it?! every time i do it i put some sort of ding or crack in it..

Well the last time i removed it to ground my RCAs, i put a substantial crack in it. Ive already admitted to myself that its probably time for a new one, so if all else fails, I'm open to spending the money on a new one

theres 3 cracks, and then one FAIRLY big one going length wise.. and lots of dings on the edge, the dings i figured i could just grind out. but cracks? not sure...

I plan on painting or plastidipping this and other pieces, so color matching isnt really nessicary, but if you got an idea for that go ahead and say as well.

would sticking a long piece of metal under that lip be a good idea for reinforcement when taking it off?

Also, does anyone know how to remove the section above the glove compartment for painting?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Honestly with that your just going to need a new one, when I had my 2001 my dash was even worse, I just gave up trying to fix it, I tried everything you could think of, I never got around to buying a new one before I sold it, but just search ebay for one or you might come across one on craigslist

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yeah they're all over ebay from $100-150

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright, so I figured if I'm going to have to buy a new one, I might as well and have some fun trying to fix the old one first.

Heres what I got:

Green high temperature paint. (I know I don't need high temp, it's what I got for my calipers, yes, I know I don't need high temp for my calipers, but its what Advanced Auto Parts had!)

Plastic Welding Kit. My friend fixed the whole side of his motorcycle with it, so hopefully it'll smooth out that crack.

Gorilla Epoxy: To glue the metal sheet/rod down

Metal Rod/Sheet. not sure what exactly to call it, its about an inch-ish wide, 4 or 5 feet long (wont need all of it) and pretty thin, but thick enough to withstand prying at. (I forgot to grab it out of my truck so its not pictured..)

^^thats for support when prying off he Bezel in the future to prevent the crack from reappearing, or new ones forming.

Ill go into detail in a write up, IF it somewhat succeeds.

if i don't like the paint, ill just plastidip it black or their lime green.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts