DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropping the truck off at the dealer on Thursday, but thought I would see if anyone else has experienced what I am experiencing.

At around 70MPH I hear a noise coming from behind the dash, from under the hood or from under the truck that sounds like a flag flapping very fast in the wind. If I slow down the noise goes away, if I speed up, the noise seems to get louder.

Any thoughts?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just under 3500 miles on the truck, I noticed it about 2 weeks ago. Only change I have made to the truck is installed a set of nerf bars about a month ago.

Truck rides and drives fine, just makes the noise when I hit 70.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:LOL: ,simple stuff first! I have and found nothing. I first thought it might be a plastic bag or something caught on something, so I got the creeper out and checked underneath the truck and under the hood, found nothing.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Just for the heck of it
check the recirculation vent under the dash on the passenger side
I had a plastic bag stuck against mine & it made strange noises at different times

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A quick update to my issue - I dropped the truck off yesterday morning, they spent the day fixing a few issues I found with it and changed the oil and filter (3600 miles, figured it was a good time to do it, plus they are having a special right now, buy one oil change get 3 free). They drove the truck to see if they could duplicate the noise I am hearing, of course they couldn't hear it. I stopped in last night to take them for a drive so I could point it out to them but alas it was raining and lots of road noise from heavy traffic. The service manager asked me to bring the truck back on a Saturday when the weather is clear and also when traffic is minimal and we will try again. So, as of yet still no idea what is causing the noise.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any update on this? I have a flapping noise as well. It is on the passanger side. I thought mine ony did it when I was around 75 MPH. However, I heard it today and I was only going 45. I will say it is louder when going around 75 MPH.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try This.....

Tape down the black plastic cowl,(below the wipers) where the right upright windshield trim meets the cowl. If you tap that area lightly with your finger, you may hear the same noise that many of you are describing. Air turbulence seems to cause this. The `tape` thing is only for diagnostics.Let me know your results. Jeff

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have not had a chance to take the truck back to the dealer yet, been too busy on the weekend, and the weather has been craptastic around here.

I will check the cowl though, they may be the issue. I know it sounds like it gets faster/louder in higher winds/speeds, but it could just be my imagination. I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have not had a chance to take the truck back to the dealer yet, been too busy on the weekend, and the weather has been craptastic around here.

I will check the cowl though, they may be the issue. I know it sounds like it gets faster/louder in higher winds/speeds, but it could just be my imagination. I will let you know what I find.
I believe mine does get worse with stronger winds as well. And where I am at it seems to be exteme winds every day!

·
Registered
8 Posts
my noise seems to be gone for now. I thik it might have been extreme winds also the two days i had the noise we had really strong winds. I would have thought the noise would still be there when driving on the highway at about 130km but it isn't.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update!!

I finally had some time to do some troubleshooting of my own this weekend. I discovered two possible culprits - 1. The wiper cowl, it rattles when I tap on it, but seems worse on the passenger side. 2. The hood liner, or rather the piece of cardboard with some foam glued to it on the underside of the hood. From what I could tell it is only clipped to the hood toward the front and drivers side of the truck, the rear passenger part of the liner just kind of floats there. I'm thinking this probably the guilty party for the noise I am hearing. When the weather clears up again I am going to use some tape to hold it and see if the noise goes away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts