DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with flex fuel. I have never own a flex fuel vehicle. If I use normal gas 87 will it hurt my truck? Where is there flexfuel stations? Is there a better mpg rating with flex fuel or with normal gas? Last question is I drive allot of miles, any input on upgrades to get better MPG? I am averaging 17 to 19 currently.

·
Registered
15,702 Posts
no, reg gas will not hurt flex fuel. you are looking for E-85 or higher ethonol content in gasoline, that is what your engine is designed to run on as well as reg. gas. you will pay slightly less for this, but your mpg will drop way down making it more expensive to run.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What he said^^^. Any fuel will work. I don't have flex fuel, but I did try premium for about a month, and I didn't notice any difference, just more expensive.

You usually will find that the larger gas stations will have the E-85 should you want to try it. Up here in Canada E-85 usually has a green handle separate from the regular gas handle(But both handles are on the same pumping unit).

As far as enhancing your MPG, keep your foot out of it! I don't think that a cold air intake or programmers(worth $200-$500) will raise your economy enough to re-coop the costs of the units. Usually those units, although they boast substantial gains, don't deliver near the numbers they claim. However, I don't drive very much (+or- 20,000km/year) so maybe in your situation they would pay off. Also, if you have the fuel economy gauge in the EVIC, it can be a helpful tool to remind you of your driving habits, and help you adjust.

·
Registered
15,702 Posts
actually some programmers have an economy tune for better mpg wit gains 1 or 2 miles, but there are no programmers available for 11 ecms. that being said, my truck is good as is and have never used a programer.
op...for what we drive the 4.7 gives some pretty good mpg numbers. have 4.7 in wifes grand cherokee. runs as good as the day we bought it close t0 150000 miles ago. mpg average in all traffic is 17.3 as per evic, 21.67 on trip to florida, hand calc. you should do close to this with the improved 4,7 even though your truck is heavier. there is no magic add on that will improve your mpg other than driving habits.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 2011 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with flex fuel. I have never own a flex fuel vehicle. If I use normal gas 87 will it hurt my truck? Where is there flexfuel stations? Is there a better mpg rating with flex fuel or with normal gas? Last question is I drive allot of miles, any input on upgrades to get better MPG? I am averaging 17 to 19 currently.
My last truck (07 Silverado Classic) was a flex fuel, and the miles per dollar were pretty much the same with either fuel. E85 was cheaper, but less milage = more frequent fill ups. So gasoline is more expensive, but could go longer on a tank. So, its a toss up in my opinion. Plus, in my city, there is only 2 or 3 stations that have it, so I just used good ole gasoline. You get better performance out of gasoline too. E85 takes away horsepower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts