DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One major lacking feature in my Ram is floor lighting. I really want to add floor lighting triggered by the interior lights. I have seen a couple of pics of floor lighting done but where did everyone tie into the interior lights?

·
Addicted to the Z
15,439 Posts
I'll be watching this thread as I have also been wondering how to put in some cab floor lighting (Which circuit to tie into). The problem with the interior lights is that they auto dim and taping any load into that circuit could cause problems. May just use a seperate switch but perhaps someone has already done this. I have added a subscription to this thread.

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is something to think about. Searching the threads within this awesome forum I stumbled across the bed lighting accessory by Dodge. In the install instructions it states to tie into the dome lights. I've attached the install instructions. I'm thinking a couple of LED strips under the dash on either side will do the trick nicely.
Thoughts guys?

Here is the original thread that gave me the idea....
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=53330

Attachments

·
Addicted to the Z
15,439 Posts
Yup I think tapping into that circuit using a string of LED lights should do the trick. I actually just put LED lighting under my bed rails however tapping into the cargo light circuit for those (with my own relay). As I mentioned above my only concern is the way the interior lights auto dim. Would like to hear if anyone has actually tapped into the circuit shown in the Mopar instructions.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
If you're using LEDs, and you don't go overboard on the number of them, then you shouldn't stress the circuit too badly. I would personally use some sort of relay and definitely a fuse of sorts.

I'm not certain, but I think they now make a relay that will cause the lights to simply shut off, rather than dim when it senses that the voltage has dropped below a specific level... this would further help prevent strain on the circuit.

just my two cents

Exco

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After an exhaustive search I finally found what I was looking for.

Flexible LED's and I found them in of all places Walmart!

Will be wiring these in on the weekend as per the bed LED diagram above. Will be interesting to see if they do what I want them to.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Do you know if that same unused harness would be on the models with a centre console?

Jeff
Not sure, but I would think that unused harness is for the center console, to supply power to the cigarette lighters, light for the shifter, etc., thus making it used. Only way to find out for sure is to dig into it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do you know if that same unused harness would be on the models with a centre console?

Jeff
The unused harness in my truck is from the center dash behind the AC controls. Your truck my be using that harness depending on what accessories you have. I just point that wire because I found it to be one that is only hot when the headlights and dash lights are on AND it is wired through the dimmer.

Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finished Mod with lots of pics.

Following the instructions for the Dodge LED bed light kit I tied into the Dome circuit found behind this panel.

Being as I didn't want to solder into the factory harness I used some micro spade connectors (hobby source) and seated them in the top of the connector.

Finished tucking wires away and mounted the lights. The passengers side has a nice metal strip to mount the flexible led strip to.

The drivers side on the other hand didn't have an optimum place to mount so I had to tuck it up way underneath on the steering column. (hope you can see with the lousy picture.)

Entire mod took under an hour and the LED's fade out nicely with the Domes. Speaking of Dome lights I'll have new Putco LED dome lights installed on Monday. Here are a couple of quick vids showing the led's fading out with the domes. I'll post vids later tonight of how it all looks in the dark.

Skip forward on this one to about the 25 second mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dHCx6EulOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1DNm41GWJ8

·
Registered
321 Posts
At a boy stump! Nothing like a video to tell the story. Now I know how I'll do mine!

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks AWESOME!! Will be doing this this weekend. Excellent write up!
Thanks!!! Worst part of this mod is that you will want to follow it up with this mod... http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84887 Interior LED's to finish off the entire look and feel. I just wish I had a camera that would shoot some decent low light video as the led floor lighting with the led dome lighting looks just awesome! Now I want to LED the entire truck!

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:smileup: Great job getting these installed and thanks for the how to concerning the dome light circuit. I'd give you some reps however it says I must spread them around abit. :doh:
Thanks :smileup: Not to worry about the reps, I've received a bunch for this thread! I'm just really happy with how it all turned out. Sometimes it's the little things that bring the greatest feeling of accomplishment!

·
Registered
4 Posts
the best place I've ever found to buy high quality LED's that are "hands down" twice as bright as anything you'll get at wal'mart plus you can choose the colors. Check out Oznium.com You won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the best place I've ever found to buy high quality LED's that are "hands down" twice as bright as anything you'll get at wal'mart plus you can choose the colors. Check out Oznium.com You won't be disappointed!
I know a couple of guys who have used their lights and their longevity was not the greatest. One of them even had dead leds right out of the bag. I am still tempted to buy their side emitting ones for a headlight project though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts