DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some HELP!!!! so i come out this am to get something out of my truck is this what i found.... This is the 3rd time.

I just spoke to corporate office , and they just told me , that this will be the 3rd time on record but they would have to fix it first and water leaks and water damage is not consider lemon law. WTTTFFFFF!!!:4-dontknow::4-dontknow:

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I can't really tell what it is
sort of looks like a puddle but where

My cargo/brake light above the rear window has burnt out & so far i have not had it fixed because of possible leakage after the bulb change

I would have to eat the cost because of my $100 deductible on my Lifetime Maximum Care Warranty, so i am waiting to get several little things done at once for my $100 deductible. I need the plastic side piece for my drivers side bucket seat replaced too, i have the new part.

3rd time on record my ass, maybe 3rd time on a vehicle just like yours, same year, same model, same color & same County, this is VERY common

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Went through the lemon law with my tbird it has to be something that can cause harm to you or another or catastrophic failure like brakes mine would always pull towards the left = oncoming traffic so g/l

·
Registered
157 Posts
Went through the lemon law with my tbird it has to be something that can cause harm to you or another or catastrophic failure like brakes mine would always pull towards the left = oncoming traffic so g/l
Incorrect. Most states, including Georgia, require you to allow 1 repair attempt for major safety issues that are life threatening and 3 on other defects.

Your leak will be covered under Florida's lemon law if you follow all the proper channels.

First, you must be within 2 years of the original purchase date. Second, on the third repair you need to submit a letter via certified mail to the manufacturer that this is their last attempt to fix the vehicle. Then it is time to get ahold of Dodge/Ram and let them now the issues. It would also be wise to have a lawyer in your back pocket. Been there, done this and hope I never have to do it again. It is a real hassle.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had this issue on my 2004, was an easy fix. As others have stated it's the third brake light. I looks like it's sealed, but water sneaks in like it's seal team 6...:greenchainsaw:

Get yourself some winshield butyl rubber at NAPA, comes in a roll, fairly cheap and has many other home and auto uses. Anyway, take out the third brake light and roll a small bead along the outside of the gasket that's already there. Put it back together and it should push out a bit, smooch it flat with your finger. This sealed it well and I didn't have any further issues. Plus you can remove it for bulb changes when you have too....Good luck...:smileup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's a known issue on F150 also. (3rd brake light leak)

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Incorrect. Most states, including Georgia, require you to allow 1 repair attempt for major safety issues that are life threatening and 3 on other defects.

Your leak will be covered under Florida's lemon law if you follow all the proper channels.

First, you must be within 2 years of the original purchase date. Second, on the third repair you need to submit a letter via certified mail to the manufacturer that this is their last attempt to fix the vehicle. Then it is time to get ahold of Dodge/Ram and let them now the issues. It would also be wise to have a lawyer in your back pocket. Been there, done this and hope I never have to do it again. It is a real hassle.
Was in nj not ga and it was the way i said it in nj has to be the way i said was also 16 years ago so might have changed

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys , but the thing is that this is the 3rd time my roof has leaked!!! Iam afraid to dump more money into this truck and i keep having the same problems.... WOW , way a dam headache.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
keep all your options open. don't try to fix it yourself, they may try to blame you for the leak. investigate your lemon law and check with a lawyer. surprised the dealer hasn't done a smoke test to see exactly where the leak is from. check out the new 13 trucks, maybe you will be the first to have one.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I have had my 3rd brake light on and off at least a 5 times and it still deosnt leak. IT just amazes me the luck some people have

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks guys , but the thing is that this is the 3rd time my roof has leaked!!! Iam afraid to dump more money into this truck and i keep having the same problems.... WOW , way a dam headache.
Send in a letter to Dodge stating that this is their last repair attempt. If it happens again, they will be required to buy the truck back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
lemon law claims are a big deal for automakers and it is not as easy as you think...The idea with any vehicle is to document all the problems, no matter how small or slight and get it on the repair order. Even if they find "no fault at this time" etc. it is all "on the record"...

You never know when you will have to invoke a Lemon Law claim. I was successful in one against Mercedes benz several years ago and documented every issue. I would read the lemon law for Florida, find it on line...

In my instance, there were several issues related to my new vehicle that they eventually could not fix. Since my MB at the time was a lease, and i had negotiated a good deal on it. I opted for what was called a "subsitution of collateral" where thy gave me a brand new vehicle ( with more options!) and substituted VIN numbers. I received a brand new vehicle with 6 miles, after burning up 9K miles and 7 months of my lease, so it worked out well for me.

You will find that the lemon law hinges on documentation, timeing, written letters/correspondence, etc. If you document everything that is required, it can be straightforward and you do not need a lawyer. Ind out as much info you can on the Chyrsler corporate people, who the zone manager is, etc. Oftern if you have all the documentation together and present your case, if may not go to the corporate legal group.
But be prepared for a formidable defense from Chrysler. Best of Luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
No need to hire a lawyer! That's just money out the dam window You can do the entire thing yourself without hiring the the big guns!

Both of my brothers have done it. Both did the "subsitution of collateral" and got new vehicles. Without skipping a beat! The one brother is going through the process again with his other vehicle.

One had issues with water leaks. The other was with the steering. The new issue is with the transmission. The latest is almost completed.

The big thing is keeping the entire deal, documents and the papers out of the glove box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
3rd Brake Light

My Ram had a 3rd Brake Light leak, took it in, said they fixed it. Rained a few weeks later, leaked again, took it in, said they replaced the light. Not sure what a new light would gain, but maybe it had a different gasket. They said they would replace the headliner as soon as I'm positive it does not leak again. Of course, here in Florida, haven't had rain in 2 months in my area. This is a known issue, I don't understand why Dodge just doesn't make a rubber gasket for the light. It uses some sort of spongy gasket that absorbs water and leaks through the screw holes holding the light on. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.