DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just got done (or so I hoped) installing an American Thunder muffler on my 2015 1500 Big Horn. I couldn't find torque specs for the clamps anywhere. I found something for Magnaflow and it said 41ft/lbs so I went with 40.

I plugged up one of the tail pipes and put my shop vac in the other to test for leaks and I have three leaks! All the pipes appear to be enough.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks? I was going to take it for a quick test run, hope some things self-adjust, and re-torque.

Thanks in advance. I am freaking out a little bit here.:SHOCKED:

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
My Corsa torque spec was 40; I think 40 ft-lbs is a pretty standard torque value for exhausts, at least on our trucks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jrry261

I plugged up one of tail pipes and inserted and plugged the other with the shop vac hose. Turn the vac from suck to blow (insert Space Balls quote here:) and test like you would any airline or home gas line (with soapy water). It worked great, to my misfortune.

Thunderhorse: I found a Magnaflow spec (I think) and it said 41ft-lbs. I originally set my wrench to 40 based off of this. I decided to stop by Autozone and run it by them. The dude was pretty helpful. He said to make sure my clamps were at the end of the outlets/inlets. He also said if that didn't help to get stainless band clamps which are much wider than what Flowmaster provides. A friend also said that the clamps are not stainless and would eventually rust out so stainless band clamps would be best in the long run. I have yet to look at my original clamp position. I will do so and reply to help others.

Footnote: I am not a mechanic (obviously). The videos I have seen stated that this installation should take about 45 minutes. The biggest hangups I had was cutting off the tailpipes at the stock muffler, removing the muffler outlet from said pipes, and re-hanging the driver side tail pipe. That tail pipe has two hangers vs the passenger side which only had one. After my test run, I am very pleased with the sound of the muffler and do recommend it. I had my truck on ramps and used common hand tools and PB Blaster so I think just about anyone could do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts