DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im wanting to upgrade my stock exhaust to a Flowmaster 40 Series. Pretty much just doing it for a nice sounding truck lol! I'd like to stick with a single in single out. I need to know what all i should buy for this. Im pretty new to this so I dont know too much on whats needed.

I keep seeing something about a "Y-Pipe"? will i need to buy pipe extensions since the Flowmaster is much shorter than the stock muffler or does it come with extensions when you purchase the muffler? I dont plan on installing myself but Id like to have all the parts I need to provide for the shop.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
All you get is the muffler, which like you said is much shorter then stock. I am going to change mine out to a 70 series and have a quote from a muffler shop of $80 to install it for me. The easiest thing to do is take it to a muffler shop and let them do it as they have all the pipes needed for the change.

·
Registered
745 Posts
+1 the factory muff is a giant over 3' long monster..

yur shop will have to add a short bit of 3" either to the inlet or outlet of the new muff to connect it to the stock pipes..

this is a trivial job and should be about an hour of shop time..

the "Y-pipe" is the transition pipe before the muffler where the (2) 2.5" pipes from each exhaust manifold merge into a single 3" pipe..

on the Hemi its a stamped crimped P.O.S. and a flow restriction..
(the V6 has a much nicer formed part..)

replacing the OE part with an aftermarket (much better flowing) Y-pipe will give you some free Horsepower and prolly more sound too..

worry about that later,, you can do that after yur muffler install with no penalty.

or if yu got the $$ get it done now..
it will be prolly 2 extra hours since its a finicky job..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just installed a Flowmaster Super 40 yesterday on my Ram, I have a 2012 4.7 Quad Cab, the factory muffler is roughly 40" long from inlet to outlet, the flowmaster was roughly 20" long, I bought a section of 30" long 3" stainless straight pipe and the muffler, I cut the old muffler right out with a sawsall, threw the muffler on the tailpipe, measured and cut the 30" straight pipe down to about 20", mached it all up, tacted a few welds on to hold it in place and fired it up to make sure I had no rubbing issues, after all was okay I burned it in with the welder and drilled a 1/8" hole in the low point of the muffler for drainage. I know not everyone has access to a lift and a welder so you could do this with 3" exhaust clamps if you like but considering I did this on my lunch break at work I figured I would just weld it all in, if you want any pictures of anything I can try and take a few.

- Jake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts