DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have a question that I would like to pose you. I have a '16 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7 Hemi. I want to make it sound better, so I am looking into changing the muffler to gain the sound I am looking for. I want that deep rumble at idle, and when I stomp on the gas. I want to try and stay away from an annoying drone inside the cab when rolling down the road/highway, and I am not looking to wake my neighbors up at 2am either.

I wanted to try and get some opinions and guidance, since I am sure you all have more experience than I.

What are your thoughts?! Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Then if it were me I would ask the mechanic that you use to recommend a good muffler shop, or if he knows a good muffler man (some one good and honest with muffler work) I don't know where you're at but I know a family that has muffler shops in So. Cal, San Diego County.Good Luck 🇺🇲

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I have had both mufflers at different times, and I prefer Flowmaster. I put a Magnaflow on a Jeep Wrangler and could not stand the drone from it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
FlowMaster 40 series lasted 7 yrs. Then replaced, because one tail pipe muffler extension rusted and one broke off.
Muffler was still ok, but i though it was time to replace all. Muffler and mounting extensions. Make sure to make muffler extensions out of stainless steel, ask me how i know?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hello all!

I have a question that I would like to pose you. I have a '16 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7 Hemi. I want to make it sound better, so I am looking into changing the muffler to gain the sound I am looking for. I want that deep rumble at idle, and when I stomp on the gas. I want to try and stay away from an annoying drone inside the cab when rolling down the road/highway, and I am not looking to wake my neighbors up at 2am either.

I wanted to try and get some opinions and guidance, since I am sure you all have more experience than I.

What are your thoughts?! Thank you in advance!
Straight pipe the muffler leave the rest

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love my 18 inch magnaflow. Has a nice rumble when idling and roars when on the stupid pedal. No drone in my cab. When going into 4cylinder mode it does sound a little crappy. I also did the magnaflow y pipe. I notice slight improvement in mpg and midrange power. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with Magnaflow, 5 x 8 - 18in long. Really happy with the sound. I was looking for the same results as you. I have no problem having a conversation or listening to music. You could even go 22in long, if you're worried about the neighbors. You will get a little drone no matter what, I get a little around 2K rpm. Good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also nothing like less restriction in the outflow. You can see from one end to the other. My neighbors havent complained yet either. I leave at 5am for work. What stat are you in?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ahill37, you must be in NJ. Yes that's the shop that did my exhaust. Or you ordered online and did the self install. For 30.00 more vs shipping I had them install my system. Good guys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I went with the MagnaFlow catback system with the 5" black tips. No drone at highway speeds and quiet enough to have a normal conversation inside but has a good sound outside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Those sound clips for both magnaflow & flowmaster are useless for the Ford f150 due to the fact that, they use a V6 for the M.f and a V8 for the flowmaster. The Magnaflow sounds like stock and would be a complete waste of money as stock has a better sound than the Magnaflow.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is what a Mufflex muffler delete ( DOD-M80) sounds like on a 2014 1500 5.7. I is surprisingly quiet when driving in baby mode.
New video by Greg Tone

Sorry about the low quality video. I thought it was better.

·
Premium Member
2016 RAM 1500 4WD Laramie Longhorn
14 Posts
Installed Flowmaster American Thunder 2 years ago. Love it. Loud enough to sound like a grown up truck but mild enough to stay out of the cab. No noticeable drone for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Borla is my choice. Mainly because they tune their mufflers to the vehicle. Have had 3-4 on various cars/trucks. Never disappointed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts