DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2019 Ram. Anyone notice there is no metal radio antenna on these trucks anymore, seems like they are now molded into the windshield. I have the Sirius radio antenna on the roof which works well, but my FM radio reception is horrible the majority of the time. I live in a area where reception is not a issue at all. Anyone else having issues with this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sad to know they still havent fixed this issue. 2013 and cant believe how bad it is. I live in new jersey and cant even get the local station clear.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just bought a 2019 Ram. Anyone notice there is no metal radio antenna on these trucks anymore, seems like they are now molded into the windshield. I have the Sirius radio antenna on the roof which works well, but my FM radio reception is horrible the majority of the time. I live in a area where reception is not a issue at all. Anyone else having issues with this?
Hmm... Haven't experienced this. I've actually found a good FM station and been listening for the last few days (HD), and it sounds great.

Haven't had a metal radio antenna in any vehicle prob in the last ten years, so not sure this would be the issue btw.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it’s crazy sometimes I get in the radio sounds great other times it sounds horrible, if I hit the search button (or scroll) it will scroll thru every channel on the FM dial and lock in on just one local station.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Antenna part of the Shark Fin on top of vehicle

·
Registered
247 Posts
Antenna is actually in the "fin" . I'm shocked trucks didn't lose the big 100 foot metal antenna years ago like cars. The shark fin being a 'be all antenna' isn't new. As for me, all of my radio stations are crystal clear.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
The 19 Rams are the first truck to lose the mast antenna. I like having it as it provides a good feeler for overhead clearances, and since literally every other truck has one I don't think it looks out of place.

I don't have any problems with Sirius, AM, or FM on my Ram, but usually I listen to what I have on my SD card since they don't play any of it on the radio

·
Registered
7 Posts
This issue is how I found the forum. FM radio has very poor reception, and satellite works great.
I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and will update with any findings.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
There is no way for the FM signal to pass through mountains, buildings, etc
FM travels in line of sight
AM bounces off of the Ionosphere
Satellite signal, Sirius XM, GPS, & Cell phone signal is received from Satellites & repeater stations

I can't see how an shark fin antenna can handle all the different functions, with all the different types of antenna wire coils

The only suggestion that i have is
Until someone comes up with a fix, carry a Bluetooth FM radio with you & extend the antenna, you should be able to place it near the rear window, so that it can't be seen

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Is it in the shark fin? The Accord I learned to drive in had the antenna in the rear window, looked like the defroster

·
Registered
241 Posts
I live in New Jersey. I always use IHeart for local radio. Cant say I even tested the FM in the truck. I'll try it on the way home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman Crew Cab 4 x4 in August. I also have issues with the FM radio reception and AM reception has not been so great either. My truck came included with the UConnect 3 in 5 inch radio which I had Best Buy replace with an aftermarket Kenwood Excelon 6.2 inch Navigation/DVD/ Apple Car Play/HD Radio connected to an iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR to maintain the factory features. The HD Radio reception is horribly unstable and goes in and out from digital to analog a lot. I had this same radio installed in my Nissan Sentra for 2 years prior to trading it for my truck and the HD Radio reception in the Nissan was excellent. Best Buy looked into the issue and attempted replacing the antenna adapter and the issue still persists. The antenna adapter has an amplifier built in that is supposed to boost the signal but even that has not helped. The Best Buy Car Audio installation technician said that the cause of the problem is the factory Chrysler antenna is crappy. Google searching this subject on several forums, this appears to be common issue with all RAM trucks and several other FCA brand vehicles. Doesn't seem like FCA is interested in fixing the problem so the best solution is to replace the factory antenna with a high gain aftermarket one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts