DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was changing my oil today and found foamy oil on the cap and in the fill I have. Even losing a little amount of antifreeze as well what should I check Ive read if u don't drive much it could happen as well and I don't drive much so please help and what could be the problem

·
Registered
565 Posts
Do you see where your antifreeze is going? If it is leaking somewhere and you can see it, breath a big sigh of relief. If not, it may be leaking from your headgasket. A quick checklist to run down:

- Is the oil on your dipstick milky looking as well?
- Can you smell the sweet scent of anti freeze from your exhaust pipe?
- Is your truck smoking excessively white from the exhaust?
- Can you see oil in your radiator?

Typically milky sludge crap on the underside of the oil cap is normal especially for a 4.7 liter. My concern is the reference to the coolant you are losing. On average I drive over 12-1500 miles a month on my 2002 and mostly longer trips where the engine temps are up enough to evaporate any condensate and I still get the small amount of "milkshake" under my oil cap.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok my old oil looks fine nO milky look just black like old oil I'm gonna do a pressure test to see if we can see if there's a leak and where it's not much of a leak but wanna get it fixed asap

·
Registered
565 Posts
It means the your head gasket is leaking it into your exhaust. Is that what you have going on? Any white smoke? You can still go ahead with the pressure test to be sure, in the meantime do a search in this forum for "head gasket" to get more info on replacement.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
As bigdaddy said, it's not uncommon for these trucks to develop a little milky goop around the oil fill neck because condensation collects there, especially on shorter trips where your engine might not reach full operating temp. I don't think it's an excessive problem but I have also seen quite a few peeps replacing leaking radiators on these trucks as well. Hopefully those two things are all you have going on. Keep us updated.

·
Banned
290 Posts
A small coolant leak may indicate a heater core leak also. You should smell the coolant with the defrost on. There may also be a buildup on the windshield.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Here is an old racers trick you may try.. disable the spark.. pull a plug you may have to do all 8 (1 at a time) place your finger over the hole and have someone turn over the engine.( what for the exhaust to force your finger off the hole), look at your finger tip of more important smell your finger tip if you see or smell anti freeze you have a gasket leak ( yea i know your have 16 plugs don't matter)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i think it may also be related to the PCV valve...check/replace that as well...just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
565 Posts
To clarify my earlier post, if you are only seeing a small amount of water from your exhaust this is normal in the combustion process, it is a by product. A small amount of coolant going missing could be a simple leak, as mentioned earlier a heater core. Could you post a bit more specific on what exactly is coming out of your exhaust.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
almost clear water is suppose to come out of your tailpipe(s)
it is a function of the Catalytic Converter

Unspent gas fumes pass over the specially coated tiles inside of the converter & a chemical reaction takes place & it comes out of your exhaust looking like clear water

The compounds coating the inner structure of the cat literally strip, ram together, and otherwise muscle these emissions into less harmful gases and water, leaving the stuff that comes out of your tailpipe in much better shape.
http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/ss/how-it_catalyti_3.htm

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Good point on the PCV valve. That has nothing to do with losing coolant but it helps maintain proper ventilation and moisture control in your crankcase. If it's never been swapped or you don't know if it has, you should. It's cheap and easy....if you can find it on your engine, lol. Some folks seem to have a hard time tracking it down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts