DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 5.7L HEMI
Electrical Engineer and life long Mechanic

The other day I noticed my neighbor's passenger fog lamp was out. Today he came over with some brakes to install(amazon sold him the wrong ones... user error i'm sure) and I looked at the lamp. Super weird, the bulb was good(switched it to the driver's side and it works just fine) but the passenger side plug reads 6 volts ALL THE TIME!!!.. key in, key out, switch on or off, always 6 volts. Cleaned the corrosion off the terminals and still, 6 volts.The owner says he has never had an issue with a weak battery so the 6v is only drawing a few milliamps or so. Took the switch apart and the circuit board is clean and the traces looked fine though there was a bit of liquid on the back of it. Was going to clean it all with alcohol but don't have any grease to replace the stuff that's on there so I left it(minus the liquid I wiped off with my shirt). The resistors are all within tolerance and the little buttons work fine. Reinstalled the switch and the problem still exists. I'm guessing this isn't a common issue because I haven't found it on the forums.
Does anyone know where where such a short would occur? I don't really want to replace the entire harness.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Treat it like a voltage "leak". With switch off the one side has no voltage (which should be correct), but the other side has voltage "leaking" to it. So how do it get there? Is it from/thru the circuit? Or is it getting there from somewhere else? Pull fuse for fog lites and see if circuit goes dead. That would confirm it is coming from that side or not. From there would have to look at a wire diagram which I dont have access to right now. But being CAN buss my guess is you have the switch and then the lighting control module or whatever they want to call it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts