DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The fog housings aren't that large and the wiring isn't that thick; I would be concerned about the extra heat causing issues. I have not run 80w fog lights though so I can't give first hand experience.
From Hella:
Please confirm high wattage bulb compatibility with your vehicle. If not compatible the bulb may damage or overheat a headlight wiring system. HELLA’s warranty applies to bulb failure or lack of designed performance only.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
A standard 9006 halogen bulb is only 55W, so if you are going to put an 80W replacement of any kind in there I would expect you to run into heat-related issues in the long-term (if not the Short-term).

~Robert

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers. I pretty much figured that they would be too hot for the housings, and or the electrical system. Came across them in my stock of bulbs and was just curious. I must have used them in something at one time.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not sure the look you're going for, but I went with yellow LED bulbs and added a Lamin-x film. Much better in coastal foggy conditions and not blinding to oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Limited CTD
1,527 Posts
Can I use a 80w 9006 halogen bulbs in the fog lights with out causing any issues ?

Thanks
I'd strongly advise against it. The wiring might be okt I haven't confirmed the wire gauge on the fog lights.

The housings would most definitely yellow/melt/deform/catch fire.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I new the answer before even asking. I think I used these bulbs in some CIBIE lights years ago. I agree that the wiring is too light for these on the current trucks, and like others have, most likely melt the lens.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts