DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a set of projector fog lights with halos for my 08 ram. I installed them and I was planning on wiring the halos up to my parking lights. That was until I tried to do it... I cannot figure out how to get to the parking light bulb so I can tap into the power wires for them. I tried to remove the headlight assembly all together and after about 30 minutes I just got pissed off and came inside. I removed both screws on the front and the one on the back and still no luck.

Anyone have the projector halo fog lights want to give me some pointers on how to wire the halos up? AND how to remove the headlamp assembly...

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Are you planning to power them directly off the park lamp circuit or are you using it to apply power to the coil side of a relay?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to use a quick splice and just have the halos on whenever my parking lights are on.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
That's not a good idea because you will most likely overload the circuit and either pop fuses constantly or you could melt the wiring. You can wire them to come on with the park lamps but you definately need to use a relay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, well im not that inclined when it comes to stuff like that so should i have a professional do it or is it pretty easy?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried that. The problem is I can't figure out how to get to the parking light harness. I've tried to take the headlight off all together but I couldn't even do that. I removed both the bolts from the front and the one nut off the back.... Still wouldn't come off. I may just be crazy but if my parking light bulb goes out I dot even think there is an easy way to change the damn thing!

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
LAMP

<A xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

1.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.2.Remove the oval-shaped rubber access hole plug from the forward upper outboard surface of the front fender wheel liner (4).3.Reach through the wheel liner access hole to remove the nut (5) that secures the stud on the lower outboard corner of the front lamp unit (3) housing to the fender headlamp mounting panel.4.With the hood panel opened, remove the two screws (2) that secure the inboard side of the lamp housing to the mounting panel.5.Grasp the lamp firmly and pull straight forward to disengage the ball stud on the upper outboard corner of the lamp from the plastic grommet (1) in the mounting panel.
<A xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
6.Pull the lamp away from the fender far enough to access and disconnect the three wire harness connections (4) from the headlamp bulb (2), the park/turn signal bulb socket (3) and the side marker bulb socket (5) on the back of the lamp housing.7.Remove the front lamp unit (1) from the fender.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Wiring up a typical 4 pin relay is simple. terminal 85 is where you'll want to tie in your park lamp splice. 86 will go to a chassis ground. 30 will come from your battery feed and 87 will go to the lamps themselves. You can use a 16 gauge wire for 85 & 86, but you'll probably want at least 12 gauge on the 30 & 87. Don't forget to fuse the battery wire going to the relay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the diagram! That should help! Where do I pick up a relay? Autozone?

·
Banned
306 Posts
I had both halo projector headlights and foglights on my intrepid. I just used T-taps and tapped all 3 halos per side into the parking lighs and never had a single problem, I don't thing they draw much current.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Yeah, you should be able to find one at any parts store. I would suggest one that can carry at least a 30 amp load. Im partial to the Bosch brand, if you can locate one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just picked up a relay and I'm going to attempt to do it this weekend. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am trying to do something similar to my 08 Ram 1500sport. I've already done the halo projector headlights and am now looking to do matching foglights as well. The company I found selling these projector halo HID fogs lists them for 02-06 only but I have info saying OEM lights are the same from 02-08. The company called to tell me they wouldnt fit my 08 so I cancelled but the next day i got email confirmation saying they were shipped anyway. My question is - Are there any reasons this light wouldnt fit my 08 Ram 1500 sport? http://www.xtralights.com/02-06dodgeramhaloprojectorfoglights-clearpairhidxenonlightskitpackage.aspx

·
Registered
324 Posts
yea def use a relay. i wired up my fogs right off the light wires and im getting lamp out light and the headlight i wired into doesnt turn on until i turn it on/off a bunch of times. still gotta put my relay in, just havnt had time so my fogs arnt powered on at the moment

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Well, I'll help out with getting the headlight assembly out. I had to struggle with mine when I first started modding. There's the 2 T-30 screws on the front and the 10mm nut on the back. THEN there's a plastic clip in the top corner of the lamp that's a pain to get out. I found that if I use a large flat-blade screw driver wrapped in a cloth and insert it between the assembly and body right at the top corner then it'll just pop out; just watch you don't scratch your paint.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
greendaze, those are the same fog lights that I got for my '08 and they fit perfectly.

CdnoilRAM, I am trying to decide on the headlights I want to get and I'm leaning towards the ones that you have (except the chrome ones). I've got two questions.... they may be dumb but I don't care! haha.
1. On the headlight assembly that you have, there are three lights.... you've got your turn signal on the far right. Your projector headlights with the halo in the middle. What is the one of the far left for? Just for looks? Like I said, dumb question.

2. Do they use the exact same bulbs as the factory assembly? I know that the fog lights that I got use the H7 bulb and the OEM bulb is 9006. The reason I am asking is I am going to order the HID kit to go with the headlights and I want to make sure that I get the right one.
(and I'm really glad I didn't order the 9006 HID kit when I got the fog lights!!!!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
greendaze, those are the same fog lights that I got for my '08 and they fit perfectly.

CdnoilRAM, I am trying to decide on the headlights I want to get and I'm leaning towards the ones that you have (except the chrome ones). I've got two questions.... they may be dumb but I don't care! haha.
1. On the headlight assembly that you have, there are three lights.... you've got your turn signal on the far right. Your projector headlights with the halo in the middle. What is the one of the far left for? Just for looks? Like I said, dumb question.

2. Do they use the exact same bulbs as the factory assembly? I know that the fog lights that I got use the H7 bulb and the OEM bulb is 9006. The reason I am asking is I am going to order the HID kit to go with the headlights and I want to make sure that I get the right one.
(and I'm really glad I didn't order the 9006 HID kit when I got the fog lights!!!!)
Thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts