DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you are on the other forum and have been following my lemon law case with my '18 sport. If you haven't read about it, my issue is with my passenger side heated seat. It does not stay on as it should and turns off by itself after only a few minutes. Dodge / FCA initially told me nothing was wrong then switched to maybe it has to do with the outside temperature then switched to the seat can sense when my body temperature is too warm now back to it's acting normally. So, I'm wanting to hear from any of you who have an 18 with heated seats. Do your seats stay on regardless of how hot or cold it is outside? They're designed to stay on high for 45 minutes then kick down to low for another 60 minutes. My driver seat does just that! Only my passenger side has this issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also have a 18 sport and just checked on this, in 98 degree ambient outside temp my passenger and driver seat heater stay on. Sounds like you possibly are getting the run around I would search for a different dealership if possible.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I want to say that the mopar kit to add heated seats to my 09 was $200. Might be worth just throeing some parts at it rather than wasting your time at the dealer. Not sure you can lemon law a vehicle because your butt heaters are not warm enough.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I want to say that the mopar kit to add heated seats to my 09 was $200. Might be worth just throeing some parts at it rather than wasting your time at the dealer. Not sure you can lemon law a vehicle because your butt heaters are not warm enough.
A strong case could be made that its a safety issue, if they are turning off because they are tripping the "high temperature" cutoff (and I believe thats what the explanation is so far).

That is far more likely to get a real lemon law settlement than a lot of other cases that people have attempted.

The drivers seat heater in my wife's 03 Acura TL mysteriously stopped working one day. Common issue: the heat pad wire between the seat back and seat bottom breaks. I took the seat apart and covers off and there was a nice black mark where the wire separated. Im guessing the foam is fire retardant, but still....I wouldn't want to rely on the safety permanently.

Same goes for the seat heaters in firemedic's truck....if its shutting down because its getting too hot and that safety shutdown fails, what will happen?

·
Registered
125 Posts
A strong case could be made that its a safety issue, if they are turning off because they are tripping the "high temperature" cutoff (and I believe thats what the explanation is so far).

That is far more likely to get a real lemon law settlement than a lot of other cases that people have attempted.

The drivers seat heater in my wife's 03 Acura TL mysteriously stopped working one day. Common issue: the heat pad wire between the seat back and seat bottom breaks. I took the seat apart and covers off and there was a nice black mark where the wire separated. Im guessing the foam is fire retardant, but still....I wouldn't want to rely on the safety permanently.

Same goes for the seat heaters in firemedic's truck....if its shutting down because its getting too hot and that safety shutdown fails, what will happen?
Holy crap. There are fuses on everything. To the OP, good luck. Some problems are just easier to fix yourself, but it depends on what your time is worth to you.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
A seat heater is basically a controlled short circuit. Just like electric heat.

Now put it under a seat cover (leather or cloth) and now the heat gets trapped in the seat, potentially overheating an already warm/hot area. Does it draw extra current when it does that? Probably not enough to trip the 7.5 or 10 or 15A fuse it is wired to (unless the wire breaks and somehow shorts to a piece of metal, but inside the seat cushion there is little to no metal to short to)

So no, a fuse wont necessarily stop the overheat. And an overheat can turn into a fire in the right circumstances. Which is exactly why there is a temperature safety built into it to begin with. But again, if the TEMPERATURE safety fails, the seat heater can just stay on and on and on, drawing its normal (read: less than the fuse) power. Until something gets hot enough to combust.

And as far as actual chances it will ever happen....FCA recalled 4.8 million vehicles because of something that happened once, that they couldn't even prove or re-create themselves, even on that very same vehicle.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
To update you guys - I have already began the lemon law process and just received the truck back today from the "final repair" attempt by FCA. They say that the seat is reaching its max temperature of 130 degrees therefore shutting down so it doesn't burn up the wiring. Um...that's kind of a major safety concern that my seat could burn up and thankfully the safety mechanism is turning it off. I have already contacted a lemon law attorney and they agree this is definitely a good case. Dodge/FCA is telling me this is normal even though my driver seat stays on as it should.

Holy crap. There are fuses on everything. To the OP, good luck. Some problems are just easier to fix yourself, but it depends on what your time is worth to you.
The dealer has already replaced the heating pads and the module. The seat continues to shut off. I shouldn't have to tear apart a brand new 45k$ truck and try to fix something like that. We'll see what comes of this.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have had three Rams in the last four years here in cold Canada. I have passenger seat heater stay on for long road trips to ski races without it turning off. Sounds like switch is turning off too quickly.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm just curious if you're aware how a lemon law works for you? You will lose money if your truck qualifies for a lemon law. They don't just give you a new truck. This doesn't seem like a issue I'd personally want to lose money over, but maybe it's different for you.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Before you go too far go to the dealer and try another '18 and see if it does the same. If there is no one in the seat it will get hotter and turn off quicker. Just like the new 'auto park' thing I'm sure they made sure that no one's rear gets toasted.

There isnt a whole lot to the seat heater as far as hardware, not sure I would lemon law a truck over that. Dealer cant argue about throwing parts at it if another truck does not do the same thing.

I have an '18 big horn with heated cloth seats and I'll go in a few minutes, its 90 degrees out and I will see how long the pass side heater stays on..

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I can't figure out why anyone would want heat in the seat when the outside temperature is 65°F or higher ??

Here in Southern California, we think it is cold when it drops down to 40°F & it seldom gets below 34°F, except up at the 3000 foot altitude

My trucks heater only takes about 3 or 4 miles to get hot in the cab

I do need to get a Cabin Air Filter before the Climate Control Evaporator gets dirty

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just got back, first I left the AC off, rolled the windoes down (88* out) and in 5 minutes the RH side heater switched off high to low. Even if I turned it off and back on high it would go back to low within seconds. The drivers side stayed on high for the whole 20 minutes.

On the way back I left the AC at 72* and the RH heater switched to low again in five minutes or so.

2018 Big horn CC with cloth buckets. I know for sure my older laramies with heated/vented seats did keep the RH side heater on high longer than 5 minutes, when it was cold out anyhow. Never tried the RH side in the summer :)

If thats what your truck is doing OP then its most likely a programming thing and not hardware. If all '18s do the same thing I'm not so sure lemon lawing it will fly but its its your time and money..

·
Registered
665 Posts
Here's the whole thread.

Its 64 pages and 636 posts long.

You have to put back in the .'s and take out the spaces.

https:// www ramforum com /threads/started-a-case-with-ram-today-lemon-law.123422/page-64

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the whole thread.

Its 64 pages and 636 posts long.

You have to put back in the .'s and take out the spaces.

https:// www ramforum com /threads/started-a-case-with-ram-today-lemon-law.123422/page-64
Thank you for posting that..

For those of you saying why would I need heated seats when it's hot outside, some people have back issues that the heat helps relieve. My gf uses the seats religiously even when it's 100 degrees outside. don't ask me how because even I don't understand how she's cold all the time.

And those of you saying it does not qualify for a lemon law case - the dealer has straight up told me the safety mechanism is shutting the seat down so the wiring doesn't burn up. So, what if that mechanism fails and the seat does catch fire?? I know some of you will just say not to use the heated seats then. I bought the truck specifically because one of the features it had was the heated seats. So, everyone is entitled to their opinions here.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I thought lemon laws were only for safety, emissions, and drivetrain issues?
In the thread we talk about how the service departments explanation are proving that it could be a safety issue, because the seat heater is starting up but turning itself off quickly because its hitting the safety limit (for temperature, current or who knows because it looks like the dealer never really troubleshot it correctly)

Im on the side of the argument that says this is a safety issue because if the safety net doesnt work one time, it could lead to overheating and/or fire in/on the seat.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Problem with our heated seats in our automobiles. What I call "first world" problems.

Now if you've got this problem with your driver's seat, let's have a discussion.

·
Registered
665 Posts
wait a sec! That's not a Ram interior and seat, so this is not applicable to this thread! LOLOLOL:smiley_thumbs_up: :smileup:

Problem with our heated seats in our automobiles. What I call "first world" problems.

Now if you've got this problem with your driver's seat, let's have a discussion.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,453 Posts
Thank you for posting that..

For those of you saying why would I need heated seats when it's hot outside, some people have back issues that the heat helps relieve. My gf uses the seats religiously even when it's 100 degrees outside. don't ask me how because even I don't understand how she's cold all the time.

And those of you saying it does not qualify for a lemon law case - the dealer has straight up told me the safety mechanism is shutting the seat down so the wiring doesn't burn up. So, what if that mechanism fails and the seat does catch fire?? I know some of you will just say not to use the heated seats then. I bought the truck specifically because one of the features it had was the heated seats. So, everyone is entitled to their opinions here.
The good thing is its your truck that you paid hard earned money for so you want it exactly how you want it. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts