DODGE RAM FORUM banner

For those that don't think the cabin air filter mod is worth it...

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Thunderhorse 
#1 ·
For those that don't think the cabin air filter mod is worth it check this...

...this is after about 15,000 miles and a little more than a year's time. I actually don't go off road as much as I'd like to so this is probably about 90% street driving. Imagine all that caked on your AC condenser and then, figure after two or three more cycles like this, what your condenser would look like. My understanding is that you have to practically tear the entire dash out to get to the condenser to replace it. A $12 filter every year or so sounds cheap to me. (BTW - I bent it up a little getting it out. It was structurally ok before I removed it.)

See less See more
#3 ·
I bought my ram used but with only 10,000 miles and there is a door for the cabin air filter (no one cut it out/mod) Thing is im assuming the factory forgot to put the filter in. Im saying this because i bought a 2010 toyota yaris new and at about 10,000 miles i went to change the cabin air and low and behold the factory didnt put one in there either. I wonder if anyone else has ever seen this. I ordered and put one in my truck yesterday by the way.

Also,that is a ton of dirt for 15000 miles, makes you wonder how a/c even worked for long in all the cars of the past before cabin air filters.

#4 ·
My mid-16 production truck had the same scenario: Door in place from factory without filter installed. For Ram, I believe they made the adjustment to include the door then later started including the filter. I'll take that compromise since it saved me doing the cutting in that less than comfortable access point.

#7 ·
The evap core is what finally convinced me to get around to doing this, I vacuum and detail my truck enough that the dust didn't bother me. I change mine every July or August-the first one I changed in the Durango (which was a year old at the time and probably the first change for it) had a feather in it.

I also got my dad the kit to do it to his 2009; he ended up slipping and cutting his hand and getting cellulitis, but he's glad to have the filter lol. I finished up installing mine a few minutes before Hurricane Matthew blew through town.

There was a lot of pollen this year so I am expecting mine to be green. The only thing is you need to know the part number when you go to the store. Or I guess you can confuse parts counter guy if you're into that kind of thing lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.