DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you seen the new Ford F150 commercial? They're comparing the Ford to a Ram and ... maybe a Chevy. The guy that 'tests' the Ram goes from the Ford to the Ram... "It seems like the Ram was struggling"

And that's about when I lost it.

I've driven a Ford, thanks. I've also raced them. In a 2002 4.7L (and a 2006 Hemi...) and win. Every time. (except that time when there was a cop...)

Anyway!

Just wanted to let off some steam, this really ticked me off.

CARRY ON :)

Go Dodge!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I am waiting to see if the new aluminum bodies on the 2015 F150 start cracking from twisting. Those Fords twist an awful lot and I don't think those aluminum bodies are going to hold up to it.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
That would depend on the thickness & amount of alloy that they decide to use in the aluminum

Lean against your vehicle & likely you will feel the sheet metal move, if there are no bends or folds, like the area between the cab & rear wheel, or the center of a door

Ford is going for a lighter cab & bed sheet metal weight
That way they can increase the Hauling & Towing weights
The new SAE Standard, (SAE J2807 towing standard), that pickup manufactures have all agreed to, will begin with the 2015 model pickups. The manufactures will no longer be able to twist the tow/haul capacity numbers, the way Ford has been doing for a number of years

·
Banned
5,858 Posts
That would depend on the thickness & amount of alloy that they decide to use in the aluminum

Lean against your vehicle & likely you will feel the sheet metal move, if there are no bends or folds, like the area between the cab & rear wheel, or the center of a door

Ford is going for a lighter cab & bed sheet metal weight
That way they can increase the Hauling & Towing weights
The new SAE Standard, (SAE J2807 towing standard), that pickup manufactures have all agreed to, will begin with the 2015 model pickups. The manufactures will no longer be able to twist the tow/haul capacity numbers, the way Ford has been doing for a number of years
Tom, have you found any info on exactly how much weight Ford is aiming to save by going with the aluminum body panels over the stamped-steel? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
15,601 Posts
kelsy, if you own dodges long enough, you will come to understand there are many who will forever believe dodge/ram is the "bottom of the pile" based on its reputation from the 70s, 80s and 90s. you will never convince a ford or chevy man their trucks are not the best ever mfgd. even when you give them a ride to the nearest gas station to arrange to have their trucks towed.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Tom, have you found any info on exactly how much weight Ford is aiming to save by going with the aluminum body panels over the stamped-steel? :4-dontknow:
I thumbed through a Truck Trend today at the book store and the article on the 2015 F150 said for a four door truck it is about 700 pounds and for a regular cab truck it is 500 pounds. The bigger the body the more weight that is saved. It also stated that the firewall will remain steel.

·
Banned
5,858 Posts
^^^ Thanks, fellas.^^^

Wow. 700 lbs. seems like a lot. I was guessing 3 or 4 hundred max.

Still not sold on aluminum, though. Even the best-prepped aluminum corrodes horribly in the marine industry in 2 to 3-years time.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Ticked off? I find vehicle comparison commercials more humorous than anything. That '15 F150 is going to be something special. Don't fret, competition is good... :smileup:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Motor trend truck of the year two years in a row
Only truck ever in history
Nuff said :box:
:LOL: Yeah, MT is the ultimate authority on reviewing vehicles. Ram was awarded that dubious distinction by default. It was the only manufacture that had anything new to release- that being the diesel. What's Ram going to hang their hat on next year? Don't get caught up in the bogus accolades. Cracking Consumer Reports top 10 holds far more weight. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Motor trend truck of the year two years in a row
Only truck ever in history
Nuff said :box:
Only because Motor Trend decided the new 1/2 ton diesel was a big enough change for it to enter the competition again the next year. Only reason there aren't b2b winners is because of the rules of the competition. Lots of Ford guys are drinking the blue Kool-aid, I guess Ram has been passing the red Kool-aid around to some people as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe the Ford rollout will be like Obamacare. Everyone will tell you how great it is till they receive their first insurance bill. Then realization will set in when something happens like a fender bender and they have to be towed 200 miles to get it to a certified body shop to repair it.

The additional cost of towing will set them back 2 years on any advertised fuel saving from the aluminum body will cause them to regret ever buying one.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow I leave the computer for a number of hours and then when I return it's exploded with notifications. Haha, it was good to read all the responses.

Ticked off? I find vehicle comparison commercials more humorous than anything. That '15 F150 is going to be something special. Don't fret, competition is good... :smileup:
Yeah, I know. I know it's not true, and it is funny that they think they need to bash our Rams to make their trucks look better. And by special, I think you mean Short bus riding, helmet wearing, licking the windows special, right? (no offense intended here) :LOL:

kelsy, if you own dodges long enough, you will come to understand there are many who will forever believe dodge/ram is the "bottom of the pile" based on its reputation from the 70s, 80s and 90s. you will never convince a ford or chevy man their trucks are not the best ever mfgd. even when you give them a ride to the nearest gas station to arrange to have their trucks towed.
Yeah, I've butted heads with Ford men multiple times (Including my mechanic...) Never works... though, I have to say, I won't ever let one in particular forget that he's asked multiple times "Can I drive?" when I was taking him somewhere in my Ram. He knows deep down... but he's stubborn. lol

I believe the Ford rollout will be like Obamacare. Everyone will tell you how great it is till they receive their first insurance bill. Then realization will set in when something happens like a fender bender and they have to be towed 200 miles to get it to a certified body shop to repair it.

The additional cost of towing will set them back 2 years on any advertised fuel saving from the aluminum body will cause them to regret ever buying one.
Yes! I couldn't agree more.

Sorry I didn't reply to everyone, pretty sure my fingers would fall off! But, good to read all the responses from everyone sounding off!

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have a 2009 Expedition Limited with Ford's aluminum hood & rear gate. We have had paint issues on both panels, as have most other Expedition owners on the planet. It turns out it's a preparation issue. I hope that Ford has figured out how to paint aluminum, or the truck world is in for a surprise.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Ford is the king of fraudulent marketing. People believe them because they are the best selling vehicle in America.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
700 pounds
They are hoping also to get 30 MPG out of the 2015 Fords
:4-dontknow:

Here is an recent article
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Latest-News-Wires/2014/0503/Ford-cars-Will-new-aluminum-body-F-150-save-Ford-s-stock

this article by Car & Driver is more optimistic

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-ford-f-150-photos-and-info-news
Yep, Its UP TO 700lbs and its COULD get CLOSE TO 30mpg on the hwy. Everything is just conjecture at the moment. Ford is running scared and their marketing claims are gonna push the envelope of stretching the truth. Time will tell but right now they are doing whatever they can to build excitement around the new truck.

FWIW I do not believe the 30 MPG figure until I see it. That claim must be for the 2.7 but physics is working against it ever actually achieving that in the real world. Again, Ford being as shifty as they are with their marketing, that claim may only be somewhat true in a bare bones, regular cab XL with the 2.7EB.

In a well equipped Super Crew that little 2.7 will be boosting constantly. MPG will be terrible.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts