DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Otherwise now known as the "Shudder Box"...! Both the Eco and the 5.0 are having issues with a shudder. Ford can't seem to figure it out as many are reporting something that feels like an engine misfire when going up an incline, starting from a dead stop, or cruising between 50-60 MPH. Apparently, the issue is worse when put under load such as towing or when the cruise is on. Google ECOBoost Shudder... there are also some interesting You Tube videos on it trying to pinpoint the issue. Some say it is not the engine but the newly designed two piece drive shaft. Others are saying it is the rear leaf spring suspension. I am so glad I did not go through with the purchase of the ECO-Boast I was looking at. :smileup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
TSB
11-9-17

Released Oct 3, 2011
ISSUE:
Some 2010-2011 F-150 4X4 CrewCab with 3.988 m (157") wheelbase built on or before 6/21/2011 may exhibit a shudder/vibration on moderate to hard acceleration.

It is important to confirm how the vehicle is driven the majority of the time (loaded or unloaded) as adjusting the drive-line angle may result in a shudder or vibration if vehicle payload changes frequently.

This procedure should only be used to correct or improve a shudder or vibration in described condition as per vehicle build configuration.

Some shudder/vibration on take-off may be normal under heavy-load or trailer tow conditions. Refer to the Owners Guide and Towing Guide for additional information/specifications regarding towing and vehicle loading. With spring configuration on 3.988 m (157") wheelbase, the shudder/vibration concern may occur when loaded or unloaded.

This procedure will improve the severity of takeoff shudder/vibration based on vehicle load conditions.

The procedure has you change pinion angle with spacers and/or replace rear springs to the latest revision level to help improve the shudder.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
LOL
You mean that Ford has not figured out that the slope of the drive shaft angle has to be between 1 & 3 degrees, no more or Less, between the transmission & the rear end ??
I thought they were the ones that discovered that

According to Currie, “a street driven vehicle should strive for between 1 and 3 degrees between the transmission and driveshaft, and 1 to 3 degrees between the driveshaft and pinion. Furthermore, the two angles should be nearly equal (between 1 and 3 degrees), but always opposite.” Otherwise stated, ideally, the angles between the transmission output shaft and driveshaft, and between the driveshaft and the pinion will be equal and opposite and 3 degrees or less.

I won't buy a new Ford, car or truck
Ford in my opinion never made a decent automatic transmission
they made several great standard transmissions though

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have a 2012 Eco Boost on order and it is to be delivered by Feb 29th. I hope they have the problem fixed. It is going to be my work truck and leased through the company so it is not like I had a choice. I also want to see if it holds a candle to my Hemi so to speak. In any case it should be better than the POS Colorado I have to drive now and it puts me back in a full size truck with more power than a couple squirrels.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TSB
11-9-17

Released Oct 3, 2011
ISSUE:
Some 2010-2011 F-150 4X4 CrewCab with 3.988 m (157") wheelbase built on or before 6/21/2011 may exhibit a shudder/vibration on moderate to hard acceleration.

It is important to confirm how the vehicle is driven the majority of the time (loaded or unloaded) as adjusting the drive-line angle may result in a shudder or vibration if vehicle payload changes frequently.

This procedure should only be used to correct or improve a shudder or vibration in described condition as per vehicle build configuration.

Some shudder/vibration on take-off may be normal under heavy-load or trailer tow conditions. Refer to the Owners Guide and Towing Guide for additional information/specifications regarding towing and vehicle loading. With spring configuration on 3.988 m (157") wheelbase, the shudder/vibration concern may occur when loaded or unloaded.

This procedure will improve the severity of takeoff shudder/vibration based on vehicle load conditions.

The procedure has you change pinion angle with spacers and/or replace rear springs to the latest revision level to help improve the shudder.
This is interesting... Many F150 owners are stating they are having the problem with various models such as the Crew Cab Short bed. Also, they are still finding the problem in Vehicles built as late as Mid Nov.

What is really funny is the dealers telling them they can set the truck up to tow loads but if they do they will experience the "shudder" when unloaded and vise versa. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it to!

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,092 Posts
What is really funny is the dealers telling them they can set the truck up to tow loads but if they do they will experience the "shudder" when unloaded and vise versa. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it to!
Or have a truck you can actually use for its intended purpose :LOL:

- Cajun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts