1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
I would like to know how they maintain safety standards with an all aluminium build?

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Corvettes are fiberglass and carbon fiber...Saturns were plastic... There are tons of vehicles on the road that aren't made of steel and they're perfectly safe. The body has less to do with safety than the stuff under it.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
ABOUT TIME one of the big 3 decided to go this route! :smileup:

I am so ready for an all aluminum Ram......Frame too!

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Sure...Aluminum means no RUST...it in no way means no corrosion. Ford has been using aluminum body panels, hoods, and fenders on Crown Vics, Explorers, Expeditions, and a lot of other cars for over 15 years. Take a look at the corrosion on some of the older Explorers (97 and up) hoods...it's ugly and there's not a lot that can be done to "fix" it.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Aluminum = light weight = go faster = more fun = bigger smile. :woohoo:

Any other benefits are nothing more then an acceptable side affect. :D

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
My hood is aluminum and it looks pretty good. As long as they take the knowledge to make it look good and apply it to the rest of the truck, I just may be able to have my aluminum and like it too. :D

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I agree, with 15 years of experience under their belts it's about time they worked the kinks out. They're not the only ones out there using aluminum panels, just the first to announce using it completely on trucks.

It's a learning curve and I wouldn't expect anything less from their adversaries to be content as a fly on the wall for at least 2 years.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
The only thing that makes Al pricey is the smelting process. However, it is one item that can be recycled with the recycled product being the same as the primary product and the recycling process requires only a fraction of the energy required to smelt it from ore.

It would be nice if someone came up with a better smelting process, as AL is most plentiful metal on the planet. :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The only thing that makes Al pricey is the smelting process. However, it is one item that can be recycled with the recycled product being the same as the primary product and the recycling process requires only a fraction of the energy required to smelt it from ore.

It would be nice if someone came up with a better smelting process, as AL is most plentiful metal on the planet. :)
Iron is the most plentiful metal, but aluminum is up there. The problem is the alloy process. Raw Al is cheap enough, but it is soft and brittle. The alloy needed for a body drastically complicates the process and adds to the cost.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I have to say I like the idea if they can pull it off right others will do it to. I feel safe in my 98 trans am and the only.metal is the quarter panels. the hood, doors, and fenders are fiberglass. it is faster and has a lot more power than my ram and if I feel safe at triple digit speed in it bet you ass I will drive and aluminum pick up that I normally only got 80 in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts