DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s no secret that I’m a recovering Ford-a-holic.

So anyway, I get an email from the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum telling me to check out the new 2018 Ford Expedition.
This caught my eye because my wife is itching to pull the trigger on a new Toyota Sequoia (which is not new at all since the antiquated gas guzzling Asian behemoth hasn't been updated at all since 2008!).

So I click on the link to gaze upon new Ford SUV and to my disgust this is what I see. . .

"The heinous RAM 1500 transmission shift knob" :strokin:

The full article is here if anyone is interested in blowing $75k on a new (short-term) SUV that feels like a 2013 Ram pick-up truck…

http://www.*****************/articles/ford-reveals-2018-expedition-texas/?utm_source=jan16&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=content#jp-carousel-47078

Happy Motoring,
-Ej-

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
What bothers me more is the fact, that they still refuse to work on a new bigger V8 than the coyote. they ecoboost the world and think, if you don't give the choice, people will buy it. I hate globalism and I hate loosing identity. I don't care, that in Japan motorcycles can have maximum of 600ccm, I don't care, that Europeans think, if you have more than 1000ccm and 3 cylinders, you need to be executed, I don't care if in Australia everybody who leaves the city needs to carry at lest 5 gallons of water, I don't care if you can't have sex in Saudi Arabia unless you're married to the woman you have intercourse with. I'm in America and I want an American vehicle with a typical American drive train. Ford can't deliver and even worse- forces into the other direction. so Ford, then go. I know, where I get, what I want.
I truly believe, in a vehicle of this size, you need a long living, durable and long lasting engine. If you buy something about this size and complain about mpg, you have other problems.
My vote: keep it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Electrojake, to each his own. I'm old school too but after you've used the "heinous" dial shifter as you called it, for a good while, it's really such a simple and functional device. It reminds me that I have a great 8 speed transmission underneath me. Sure it's not a "3 on the tree" or a "column shifter", or even a center console shifter, in fact it is in a class of its own. But I will say this, Ford is trying to entertain the new school masses of high end European and Italian cars that possess these dial shifters. Here's what would be even more heinous Electrojake; The thought of a Detroit truck company installing paddle shifters in the oh so near future.:doh::LOL:

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What bothers me more is the fact, that they still refuse to work on a new bigger V8 than the coyote. they ecoboost the world...

...My vote: keep it.
guy65, I find your posts to be refreshing.
I respect someone with a good solid opinion that's not afraid to express it. :beerchug:
In the next 3 or 4 years we may indeed see vehicles aimed at the US market being more Americana, and a lot less "new world order' as far as their design goes.

There's a new sheriff in town and it's gonna' change everything, probably in more ways than you'd care to think.
Yup, It's gonna' get interesting.
-Ej-

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's what would be even more heinous Electrojake; The thought of a Detroit truck company installing paddle shifters in the oh so near future.
Bite your tongue Sir!

I LOVE my old fashioned 2016 Ram HD with its old-school steering column gear shifter and its dashboard mounted headlight switch.:bis:

·
Premium Member
32,597 Posts
Rotary Shifter, gear change selector that can't be used on a winding road, tilt steering wheel that hardly moves, automatic braking, blind spot warning beeper. If changes like this keep happening, pretty soon the upper glove compartment will have a Tampon dispenser in it.

As far as Fords go, how about the newer Ford Explorer
I saw today that owners of the newer Ford Explorer are carrying carbon monoxide detectors.

One police officer actually passed out due to the fumes, he was driving when it happened

·
Super Moderator
34,227 Posts
And what's goin' on with those taillights? Its like they couldn't decide what shape they wanted so they made the housing one shape and the color inside another.

I like the shift knob in both my Ram and Durango. I will not go further into that here since I've said it many a time.

EJ, I am surprised you didn't order a G56 in your Ram. Also, what does your wife find so compelling about the Sequoia? Genuine question here since it just seems to be an also-ran at this point. Even the Armada has been updated

If an engine needs a turbo to do its job its too small; though an added turbo to help it do the job better can be nice. The tiny turbo engines are just emissions test cycle beaters, they put out V6 emissions during testing because they cans stay out of boost, whereas in the real world they can't.

I am happy with my naturally aspirated RWD (and RWD biased 4wd) vehicles. Europe is a weird place-they build v12s with the displacement of a small block V8

·
Registered
195 Posts
As an exFord guy the title of this thread made me laugh. No disrespect to you at all EJ, but you should have seen the commentary on the various Ford forums when Ram/Mopar decided to copy the Raptor with the retrofit Rebel/Runner "upgrade" package, then again when they released the option package from the factory... and do it in such a way that was actually, truly, heinous ;) (at least the retrofit package was. Can't comment on the factory built truck).

With that said, I like the competition and the 'stealing' of good ideas. Only makes for more innovation and ultimately better trucks; something we all benefit from.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Rotary Shifter, gear change selector that can't be used on a winding road, tilt steering wheel that hardly moves, automatic braking, blind spot warning beeper. If changes like this keep happening, pretty soon the upper glove compartment will have a Tampon dispenser in it.

As far as Fords go, how about the newer Ford Explorer
I saw today that owners of the newer Ford Explorer are carrying carbon monoxide detectors.

One police officer actually passed out due to the fumes, he was driving when it happened
Well I hope if they do that they'll offer a "Mampon" dispenser for the men.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EJ, I am surprised you didn't order a G56 in your Ram.
Also, what does your wife find so compelling about the Sequoia? Genuine question here since it just seems to be an also-ran at this point.

I am happy with my naturally aspirated RWD (and RWD biased 4wd) vehicles. Europe is a weird place...
1.) The G56... My Son loves them. A tradesman kind of guy.
But I love the soft 'snazzy' luxury of my Longhorn. Different tastes, that's all.

2.) We've had 9 or 10 new Toyotas thus far and all served us well.
The wife loves her 2013 4Runner and its foul weather capability but its 3+ years old and sneaking up on the 100,000 mile mark. She wants to up-size and the only thing left it the Sequoia. :4-dontknow:

3.) Europe does just fine as Europe, however America is NOT Europe.
The land of the free and the home of the brave is a whole different thing. Our courage, our incredible work ethic, etc... The rest of the world simply doesn't fly the way we do.
-Ej-

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...you should have seen the commentary on the various Ford forums when Ram/Mopar decided to copy the Raptor with the retrofit Rebel/Runner "upgrade" package, then again when they released the option package from the factory... and do it in such a way that was actually, truly, heinous ;)

With that said, I like the competition and the 'stealing' of good ideas. Only makes for more innovation and ultimately better trucks; something we all benefit from.
IF the tables were turned I would have been booted off the Ford forum long long ago.
These Ram guys here at RamforumZ are incredibly open minded, (tolerant). :smiley_thumbs_up:

Thank goodness too!

·
Registered
20 Posts
What I'm bummed about, Is me finding this Very busy & enthusiastic forum, & then only to find out the truck I want is too big for my place.

Great Forum Guys !!!!

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I'm bummed about, Is me finding this Very busy & enthusiastic forum, & then only to find out the truck I want is too big for my place.
Dont leave us hanging. . .
What Ram were you going to buy, and why do you say it's too big? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's the shortest one made 2016 std cab/short box = 209" long.

Too Big for my garage/shop. Your Truck is Killer. I don't think your hood would clear my garage door opening.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the shortest one made 2016 std cab/short box = 209" long.

Too Big for my garage/shop. Your Truck is Killer. I don't think your hood would clear my garage door opening.
Nah, Not my truck. Just a shot of a mean Ram I posted for effect.

I have a white 3500 short bed. One of the main reasons I bought the RAM was that it is the smallest one-ton truck on the market. And it would fit in my garage if it had to.
Fortunately, in my neighborhood we can leave our vehicles in the driveway with no rules being broken.

I'd say look at a Toyota Tacoma. That should fit. :smiley_thumbs_up:

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/

Regards,
-Ej-

·
Super Moderator
34,227 Posts
Nah, Not my truck. Just a shot of a mean Ram I posted for effect.

I have a white 3500 short bed. One of the main reasons I bought the RAM was that it is the smallest one-ton truck on the market. And it would fit in my garage if it had to.
Fortunately, in my neighborhood we can leave our vehicles in the driveway with no rules being broken.

I'd say look at a Toyota Tacoma. That should fit. :smiley_thumbs_up:

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/

Regards,
-Ej-
Or maybe not; in the shortest configuration the Tacoma is 208.1" long

Are there really areas where you can't park outside? What's the driveway for in that case?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are there really areas where you can't park outside? What's the driveway for in that case?
Yes indeed. There are neighborhoods here that don't even allow a trash can at the curb on garbage pickup night!

Several vehicles ago I had a Tacoma 4x4. It was tiny compared to my current Longhorn short bed.
Perhaps a Mini Cooper is in order. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Yeah- as we was looking for a house, there was some requirements we was not compromising in:
enough parking space, no homeowners association, privacy, no house beside it, where you look out of your window and see the bathroom window from neighbors, at least 200ft in each direction no house and more backyard than front yard (who does his crap in the front?????).
and we found it! Only thing we did not consider, that we will have a not very small camper one day- so this thing is parked at my mother in law, because I'm too stangy to invest $3-5000 in a pad for it.

·
Super Moderator
34,227 Posts
When I buy a house, part of the whole reason to buy my own home is so I can do what I want with it. I'll be damned of a HOA, or worse, the government, tells me I can't park in my own driveway or install a screen door on my own home. I can't believe anyone would accept that, my home lease is less restrictive

1 - 20 of 27 Posts