DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks I am a long time Dodge admirer but never owner. I am a Ford guy that is looking for a new truck. I am trying to decide between a 2018 RAM 2500 Laramie 4*4 Cummins crew 6' bed and a similar Ford F250 Lariat 6.7.
I really like the looks of the RAM and the way the RAM drives vs the Ford.
I have always wanted a Cummins. My concern is reliability of the truck not the engine. I plan to leave the truck mostly stock. I am hoping to get some advice/reassurance from the experienced Dodge RAM owners.
Some of the problems on the internet rumor mills;
-leaks in the third brake light and SAT antenna
-rear differential/pinion gear problems (whining noise at cruising speed)
-DPF clogging
-leaks on trans pan
-slop in driveshaft/rear diff when on and off the throttle
-clunk in the driveshaft/rear diff when going from drive to reverse
-loose body mounts and suspension bolts from the factory
-alignment issues front linkage problems
Fords have their share of problems too - I know because I own 12 Ford trucks and Vans for my business. I need a new truck to replace my F150 that struggles a bit to tow a 26' boat.
Any words of advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Out of the list you posted, I'm sure that the majority haven't had any issues. I have a 2015 3500 Cummins and out of your list, I've had a leaking transmission pan and an engine oil pan. When I say leaking, it was wet around the areas but not enough to drip.

Before I took delivery, I heeded the advise I got from RAM forums, take it for a test drive, and I did. It did not have any of the issues like steering alignment or vibrations. Once you sign you are stuck with it and at the mercy of the servicing dealer to fix it, which usually doesn't happen with vibrations and steering pull issues.

The third brake light leak seems to be popular but of the two RAMs I have, neither leaked.

I have no driveline whining and never read about anyone that has. I hang a lot on the Cummins forum.

If I have driveline cluck, it is nothing out of the normal for a HD truck.

Again, never read about loose body mounts or suspension issues. I have heard about cab alignment but that seemed limited to the 1500s built in Warren.

DPF clogging. I've seen a little about that but then you got to look at it from the context of the poster and what they do to their trucks. I'm stock, there is little to gain by deleting this generation. Almost all of the emissions is downstream of the engine except for the EGR which reportedly has a small percentage of use. These diesels, regardless of the nameplate, aren't the best for short hops. The engine needs to get hot so the emission system can keep itself clean. I've not had any issues with my emission system but I tow a lot, the Cummins works in my truck.

Once you give your truck a good test drive checking for the noted issues, your real challenge is going to be finding a good servicing dealer. Dealer service was an eye-opener for me when I came to Chrysler products. I'm here because I was tired of being bent over first by Ford and then GM. I did find two good dealers that really do address my issues which are mostly with my 2013, the first year of the 4th gen trucks.

When it comes time to buy a new truck, unless something big happens, the next one will be a RAM 3500 Cummins. RAM hasn't abused me enough to switch to another nameplate.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
You can get an extended warranty to take care of any issues after the factory 3 year/36 month warranty expires

I will not buy any new vehicle without having the extended warranty
you can get it at any time before the factory warranty expires

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,238 Posts
You won't need a Cummins to periodically tow a 26' boat, and installing the Cummins in a 2500 craters the payload capability to the point that it's not vastly more than a 1500 with a Hemi.

Of course, if you want a Cummins just because you want a Cummins, that's fine, but you take a bit money hit at the time of purchase, and if long term durability is important, be aware that the lifetime extended warranty is not offered on diesel powered rigs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am on my second Ram with a Cummins and have not experienced any of the issues you listed. I too was a Ford guy but don't think I will be going back, love the Ram.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I would reiterate 9thousandfeet's post; diesel one tons make a lot more sense than diesel 3/4 tons. If you are towing something that requires the grunt of a diesel to pull it then its going to have enough pin weight to warrant a 1 ton suspension. My next truck will be a 6.4L Hemi 2500 and its not because I can't afford a Cummins.

As for your questions:

-3rd brake light leaks are fairly common on all trucks, but you can fix or prevent it in 5 minutes with a screwdriver and some RTV or weatherstripping. Hardly a deal breaker. I've read of sat antennas coming loose maybe twice on the internet, but it has not happened to me on my 77,500+ mile 2013, or my dad's 116,000+ mile 2009, or any of the Rams my friends own. Similar deal here, pull the pillar trim, pull down the headliner and loctite the screw.

-The whining diffs were only on the 1500s with the 9.25" rear; the whining was because the pinion nut may have been assembled without loctite, eventually loosen, and fall into the carrier causing the diff to grenade. There was a recall on 2005s to 2013s to address this but I never heard of it being an issue on HDs. IIRC the HDs get the same 10.5" AAM axle Chevy uses- I've never heard of a whining axle on the HDs.

DPF clogging will happen with any diesel that isn't worked hard or taken out on the highway frequently enough to run a regen cycle. Regens dump fuel into the engine to raise exhaust gas temps and burn out the DPF; doesn't matter if its a Powerstroke, Duramax, or Cummins. The early 6.7L PowerStrokes had an issue with burning holes in the pistons but I am pretty sure they got that figured out. Either don't buy a diesel if you make a lot of short trips, or delete it.

I haven't heard of any excessive backlash issues. This is something you'll find on a test drive if a particular truck has it.

There is nothing about Ram transmission pans that make them more likely to leak. Fixing it is really the same as dropping the pan to change the filter, so again in the unlikely event this happens to you its an easy fix in your driveway.

I'm not aware of any loose body mount issues. Some guys have misaligned beds and cabs but that's easy to spot and have a dealer fix before you sign the paperwork. I checked my body mount torque two months ago and none of them were below the torque spec. I have read of some guys gettign trucks with loose steering box bolts but again, if you or a friend owns a torque wrench its a quick and easy fix.

TL;DR: Of the issues you've mentioned that we've actually heard of, most are a bit of a stretch to call issues

1 - 6 of 6 Posts