DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stated in another thread that I didn't let complaining bother me. However I read quite a few complaints from time to time and it makes me wonder if I bought the right truck. I bought a 93 Ford explorer years ago and people told me I was gonna have problems. I put 170k on it and sold it to my brother in law. He took it to over 300k with no problems until he wrecked it. My 2006 Charger has 52k on it with no problems. The point is I want to know why I hear people say negative things about these new Rams. Maybe I'm :4-looney:
Who knows?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know what you are reading, nor what the negativity is, but I have been a long time mopar owner, and have never owned a bad one. Well, have to take that back. I bought my wife a nice little slant 6 Valient, years ago that was the perfect car for her until winter came. When it got down to zero, there was no way that car could be started, and no mechanic that I was able to find, including myself, could figure out what the problem was. I finally got through to spring, and sold it. It was either that or move south, and that was not about to happen! Long story short, s_it happens!

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I love my truck! Every run of vehicles is going to have a few problem children...those are the vocal owners! The rest of us are happy and driving!

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
I've had a couple of small issues with my Ram but both were a simple computer fix. I couldn't be happier with my truck! Well that's not true either, I'd be happier if it was paid for and I could use my payment money to mod the hell out of it :D

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
If I, or bunch on other members started a thread that said, "Another day and no problems! I Love my truck", first off, the mods would eventually amalgamate all the threads into one big thread and it would be so huge, that no one would actually read it because every post would either be "My truck is great" OR "Mine Too!" You would get so bored after the 10th post, that you NEVER make it to post # 107,346.

However, if I was to post "My F'n truck is broke again", it would see 'Hot Thread' status in under an hour.

Reality - People like dirty laundry, and bad news sells.

We are humans, and as such we are 'drawn' to disaster. Look at the news; the long running top story is never about Mrs. Smiths 7 years old daughter passing Grade 2 with honors. Statistically it's going to be about something bad, because that's what sells.

Here on the forum(s), you end up a larger number of threads about a problem then anything else. This is because, for the most part, that's what sells.....or in this case, that's the best and easiest way to get others to respond. Also, as human are, we tend to 'dwell' on the negative, as well as exploit it. That's the way we are. :4-dontknow:

So; considering this, the forum(s) are likely to be 'weighted' in the problem direction, which is NOT a reflection of the product, but rather a reflection of the human animal.

Oh yah....I almost forgot....it you have an issue that you want an answer to, where is the best place to find that answer -
a) Library
b) Dealer
c) Internet Forums

If you chose 'C', you are in the majority.

Question 2 - If you use the forum, are you most likely to use -
a) The search function
b) Post a question on your favorite forum
c) Search THEN post the question

Question 3 - If you have nothing but a great ownership experience are -
a) Going to tell everyone on your favorite forum
b) Cruise your favorite forum and read about the problems others are having
c) Skip the internet altogether and just enjoy your ownership experience.

BTW - All of the above is strictly 'MY' personal opinion, and may or may not reflect the opinion of the forum, it's owners or it's members. :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm still a little new at this forum stuff. I know this may be hard to believe,but I've only had a computer for about 2 years. When I needed something done online,I just got my wife to do it for me. So far I've enjoyed this forum and my Ram. Maybe the negativity was just my perception. Again sorry if I offended.

·
Registered
698 Posts
brad pretty well hit that on the head. I usually refer to it as forum phobia. Every motorcycle, mountainbike, and vehicle forum I've ever participated in is exactly the same in respect to problems. You always get a lot more people bringing up problems than you do just posting flattering remarks. And really, it makes a bit of sense. Problems elicit questions...questions elicit solutions. Where you gonna go? An owner's forum.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't think many took offense DWW, but Brad explained it pretty good. I think its Car and Driver, but one of the car mags has a 2012 model review issue out and the Ram 1500 got 5 stars out of 5 stars. The HD was 4 out of 5 I think.

I can't wait to get mine.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
If you offended anyone, I can guarantee it's NOT me. :)

I see these forums for what they are - an extremely valuable information tool, and pretty good place to meet like minded gear heads.

I just never what anyone to deprive themselves from a great ownership experience of one of the best trucks ever built, because they read something negative on a forum. There have been times when someone has been all nervous and scared to go anywhere; not because they had any issue, but because they were 'expecting' one based on 2 or 3 forum posts.

You post is a great way to get the information out there to see the forum for what it is, and to enjoy their truck and know where they can come for answers to their questions.

Hi, My name is Brad, and once again, my truck failed to let me down. :smileup:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
brad pretty well hit that on the head. I usually refer to it as forum phobia. Every motorcycle, mountainbike, and vehicle forum I've ever participated in is exactly the same in respect to problems. You always get a lot more people bringing up problems than you do just posting flattering remarks. And really, it makes a bit of sense. Problems elicit questions...questions elicit solutions. Where you gonna go? An owner's forum.
SO I guess you guys have seen ''forum phobia'' before?

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,093 Posts
First, ya didn't offend anyone here. Second, Brad is on the right track in that yes, seemingly, the worse the news, the more attention it gets. For me, this is my second Ram truck and fourth Mopar (2 Jeeps prior, one of which I still have) but truth is, those of us who join forums just to say "I love my truck" are vastly outnumbered by those who sign up because they have a problem and are looking for help. Granted, some of them get their answer and are never heard from again, so they don't stick around to enjoy the lively conversation like we have here, but I can see where it still does make it look like there are more problems and complaints than good things to be said. If you're happy with and enjoying your truck, and hopefully the Z, too, then welcome to the silent majority, you're in great company! :smileup:

- Cajun

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Oh Yah! Too often for my liking. :str:

Vehicles are made by humans, so they are going to break. We're actually not very good at what we think we are good at. LOL
Will you truck have a problem...Absolutely! Although it might not happen until it's on it's 10 owner, or it might happen later tonight. No way to tell for sure.

I recommend that everyone just got out there and enjoy their truck, maintain in well, and when it breaks, call the people that can fix it.....or DIY (maybe with a little bit of help from your friendly ForumZ). :)

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I really appreciate everyone responding. Feeling better already.
OK Guys & Gals, we've got him soothed, so lets NOT talk about the 'Real Problems'.... LOL..... :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think Forum Phobia is legitimate diagnosis of your condition. ;)

Forums can help solve problems, but reading too many negative posts might create a phobia of sorts. At the end of the day, I like driving my Ram, owning my Ram, and looking at my Ram. There are so many things about this truck I like more than the other manufactures. I'm hoping for years of reliable use, but time will only tell. :4-dontknow:

Worse case scenario, if you do have a problem consider this forum a place to learn about those "known" hiccups. At times I do worry, but also feel empowered with knowledge should the "what if" does happen.

P.S. No offense taken here....consider this forum a place of group therapy for "your condition." ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm still a little new at this forum stuff. I know this may be hard to believe,but I've only had a computer for about 2 years. When I needed something done online,I just got my wife to do it for me. So far I've enjoyed this forum and my Ram. Maybe the negativity was just my perception. Again sorry if I offended.
DW, I think it may be your 2 years of computer experience showing here...and don't take that wrong. What I mean by that is that it's sometimes hard to always read another poster's attitude in a typed post on the internet. It's such a one dimensional medium, and it allows one to easily take a different or incorrect perception of another poster's response. I've been on several other vehicle and motorcycle forums over the years, and you see it happen quite frequently. I don't think anyone intended anything offensive...just good, fun, interesting discussion...and nothing wrong with a fun-intended jab once in awhile.

I've only been on this forum for a short while with my new Ram. This brad guy has posted lots of good, informative responses from what I've seen...just another gearhead who likes to talk about something we enjoy.:D

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
There are things that i don't really like, like the way the transmission shifts & the way the original tires wore on the outside edge, cupping mostly

I see the dealership about 3 times in 2 months on adverage, because i drive it so many long distance miles & it needs servicing more than most trucks

That being said, i am not worried a bit, when i pull out of my driveway & drive 700 or 7,000 miles on a job, i don't get paid for a job that is not completed & those truck drivers only stop to pee, sleep, or make the delivery

1 - 20 of 30 Posts