DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Below I posted two pictures. The first pic has a 12V outlet which is located in the upper compartment. The second pic has the cutout for the 12V cable to run through without pinching and no 12V outlet. Can you figure out what's wrong here? Am I crazy or is there something I'm not seeing here?

LOL. Here they are:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I believe that cutout is for a charger coming from the other exposed 12V outlet. No sense for the 12V outlet in the upper compartment to have a "no pinch" hole cutout for the lower compartment when there is perfectly good hidden storage in the upper compartment with the outlet.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I wondered about this also. Only thing I could figure was the top was for plugging in a laptop or something you use while it's open, so no need for a spot going out. And the bottom compartment has the slot for a cord going in not coming out.
This is probably completely wrong but it's what I decided.:LOL:

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
it is for charging things like smaller computers, cameras, etc
instead of having them laying around in the cab
you can instead use the plug near the shifter & run it through the recessed hole

The only thing is that the one near the shifter is only hot when the key is on
the one inside the upper box is always hot

The '09 doesn't have that neat hole, i am always charging my phone, cameras, & hand held Garmin Navigation device, i have to leave the top lid unlatched from the lower one to charge them

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't think it was done right. The only 12V outlet in the front is the one on the upper lid. Lets say I'm driving and want to charge the cell phone at the same time. That would mean that the phone would have to stay hidden inside the upper compartment, or I would have to drive with the lid open. I guess the other option is to use the 110 outlet on the dash. Either way, I think they dropped the ball by not having a cutout on the upper lid. I find it odd because everything else inside the cabin looks very well done and the detail on the ~\/~ is immaculate.

I forgot about the other 12V outlet...it's in the middle of the center console.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I've noticed that if you don't slam the lid down on the upper compartment, it's possible to close the lid without doing any damage to the cord when charging a cell phone.

I've been doing it this way for almost 2 yrs now, and I'm yet to have any issues, and the cord is not damaged.

For those who are worried about such things, I believe a little bit of trimming with a dremel or something similar can create a lil notch. Sure it should've been provided during the manufacturing process, but hell it's a simple mod.

just my opinion

Exco

·
Registered
168 Posts
After contemplating over the console this morning, I too have to agree that this was a design error. It just doesn't make any sense at all. I'm wondering if the original intent was to have the 12vdc outlet in the main(large) part of the console. It seems that it doesn't 'quite' jive with the design of the top part.

Anyway:

I was thinking of an alternate mod instead, and that is to install a 12vdc outlet (tapped into the top console wiring) into the large compartment. It could be done a lot better than cutting out a notch in the top, and there is plenty of room to flush mount it in the large console, so it'd look pretty stock.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, just might do it myself.....when I get mine next week

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love this set-up. I put a 3 plug inverter in the top compartment with a Tmobile mobile broadband hotspot and an Apple TV run to the rear VES. I used an HDMI to RCA DA converter to connect to the rear VES(jacks on the lower back-end of thr console). Pics coming. Now the kids can watch netflix or something from ITunes store. No more dvd's to deal with.

Now that it works I have to figure out how to take the center console out so I can remove the rear audio and video jacks and hide them inside the console. No exposed wires that way. And will need to get a blank plate to cover the whole. Dealer part I guess?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It makes sense if you're using a corded device to plug into the UConnect. Keeps it concealed. However, I had the same thought, definitely would have made sense to leave room for a power cord for the top compartment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts