DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my build this week to bring life back into a sentimental old truck. My uncle, who was like a second father, passed away and his wife willed the old girl to me to fix up. The motor has 279,000 on it, but runs like a top after I went through an annual service and changed the fluids. Mechanically the only issue was the trans. Family members had borrowed the truck and ran the trans dry and fried the over drive.

The rest of the truck is rough, a lot of issues common to the Gen 2’s, dash pad and frame are cracked all over, the paint is flaking everywhere, driver seat foam and cushion is shot. The carpet is moldy and the headliner was ripped out. Grill plating is separating, the tires were down to the belts, and the list goes on.

My goal with the truck is to build a solid daily driver, replace the manual doors with electric, replace the dash and interior with vinyl or leather, new sound system, paint the car Toyota Cement Gray (IH5 Code), spray in Bedliner with a tool box. My budget is 5k, and I already spent 1,800 on the trans.

A family friend went through the trans and replaced all the worn parts. The torque converter fins were shot too, but he popped in a new one and it’s runs like a top.

To keep cost down I have been scouring the local pick a part and found a solid donor. It was a 1500 extended cab with Laramie Trim. The yard had a 40 percent off sale and for 350.00 picked a solid dash, seat foam for the driver and passenger, seat cup holder, steering column with the leather Laramie wheel, 2 doors fully loaded with Laramie panels and automatic windows, a headliner, tail lights, grill, driver side fender, and an old school Kenwood Amp.

Will keep you guys posted as the build comes along and here are some photos from this week. (The stripper car was the donor, it was brand new before we got to it. Have to admit felt a little savage, but it’s been tough finding a clean donor).
53E2EA13-E82D-44C1-8A87-EA137C06447B.jpeg
64CEA697-EB68-4F9F-9EA1-5227303F7F24.jpeg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of the finds from the pick a part, going to throw a gen 4 bumper on the ride too, but the cheap company that sold the modified brackets had the jig upside down. Will send them back Monday. If anyone knows a good company for the brackets please let me know and thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are the loaded Laramie doors from the donor, today I found a wiring harness and hooked them up. A little stressful, was trying to get the automatic windows hooked up so I could get it tinted, and it was a gamble how well they worked, but once everything was grounded everything worked solid.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here’s the finished product from the tint shop, ceramic film at 20% on the sides, limo in back, and a visor in front.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next step is soda blast and paint. Once that done, I will try and button up the interior.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another lucky find, found a great car guy off Craigslist, 165 for a set of
factory rims, pretty clean and came with the lugs. Mine are shot. Was looking for plain black ones, but trying to keep the cost low on this build. If I can build it with all used parts the better.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,134 Posts
Glad to see you've started this. Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,421 Posts
Great job. Thank you for the thread. I like seeing old vehicles get a second life. You're finding awesome parts for her and saving a lot of money. Keep us updated as you progress through your build.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My neighbor bought a dustless blaster and wants to test his rig on the truck tomorrow. Picked a 100 pounds of 80 grit glass beads and we will give a whirl tomorrow. If all goes well we might try and get her painted next week, but we will see how it goes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Started stripping down the old paint with the dustless. The old paint came off easily, but but the swapped doors had paint with a good bond and held. We didn’t tune the machine right, but going plan B with and doing a soda blast. Found a shop that’s cheap out here. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Truck bed was smashed into the cab (uncle got into a wreck with a load in the back). Simple harbor freight Come Along pulled it out fairly well. Tomorrow she goes to the shop for a soda blast and spray in bedliner.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome body shop owner for 20.00 bucks beat out the last dent. After the soda blast will slap a little bondo on and call it a day

1 - 20 of 71 Posts