DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another lucky find, found a great car guy off Craigslist, 165 for a set of
factory rims, pretty clean and came with the lugs. Mine are shot. Was looking for plain black ones, but trying to keep the cost low on this build. If I can build it with all used parts the better. View attachment 130353
Hey not to bust ur bubble because u r doing an awesome job! But we had some rims like that and had a 1999 dodge cummins just like urs and they would not fit the rear axle hub so might try them on b4 u buy tires and maybe u have just trying to save a fella some hardache

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey not to bust ur bubble because u r doing an awesome job! But we had some rims like that and had a 1999 dodge cummins just like urs and they would not fit the rear axle hub so might try them on b4 u buy tires and maybe u have just trying to save a fella some hardache

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Appreciate the heads up, didn’t think about before we bought them, but fingers crossed. If not, will have to chalk it up to hindsight

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Prepped the body for primer today. A really nice local painter schooled me up on the best way to prep post dustless blasting. He uses a heavy duty plastic bristle brush attached to an angle grinder. It did a great job smoothing down the metal surface and removing any residue from the dustless blast.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The epoxy primer was sprayed today, next step is body work, and another round of primer. Final step will be IH5 Cement Gray

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Finally got the Craigslist Rims thrown on today. Just need the chrome lugs and we are rolling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Took the time to install the sound proofing material and new front speakers. Going to button up the dash tomorrow. Fingers crossed it won’t snap.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Next step today was trying out the Gen 4 to Gen 2 Front bumper conversion. Learn from my experience, the conversion brackets that are cheaper off Ebay and Amazon are for later model Gen 2’s I believe. The holes didn’t match up well and required some modification. Not a huge deal, but they were not direct bolt on out of the box.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Had the bumpers prepped for primer this week and had the chrome removed at Escondido Plating. Great shop, the owner and staff were true professionals. The white haze is a soda left to neutralize the acid. After a rinse and some steel wool they will be ready for epoxy primer for the color match.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I had the headliner done last week and saved a few bucks at the up removing the old foam myself. Used a wire wheel on an angle grinder (you have to be delicate of course). For the finer work around edges and access holes for the light etc used a shotgun bore brush. Wire brush would have been better, but used what I had lying around. If you are in So Cal, Sam’s upholstery in Lake Elsinore has been awesome. He’s doing the front seats too and is a true professional in an art that’s dying.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I’ve started buttoning up the inside. With the headliner Complete I’m not working on the audio system. This consisted of a factory headset with blown front speakers and rear speakers I didn’t have any sound. I’m going to head to make some little modifications but the in-state goal is to mount the Kenwood amp pulled from the junk yard and a trip light inverter on the rear panel. I plan on adding more seam sealer, spraying fresh primer, and sound deadener. Next step will be buttoning up the dash.

As I went through the process I added attic insulation on the rear panel and found the issue with the rear speakers which were essentially were just bags of fabric. I’ve ran all the cables and wiring and will look to button up the project today more pictures to follow.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)

Someone asked about the type of crimp. 100 ways to skin it, but I like the mechanical connection this connection gives you. Followed up with a little solder for a chemical connection and heat shrink and it’s a solid setup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Got everything buttoned up, with the exception of the front right to the amp. That’s what happens when you let your kid play with the tools and parts.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts