DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us who are pinching pennies, there is a free MPG booster out there. It's simple and easy to do! This rarely used booster is called drafting! Best used behind semi trucks. Where I would normally be getting around 12 MPGs going up a hill, I get 15. And when I'm just cruising down the highway, I get 30-40 where I would normally get 18-25. Just thought I should spread the knowledge! Just don't be in a hurry when you're trying to save gas because we all know semis like to go a little slower than we do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For those of us who are pinching pennies, there is a free MPG booster out there. It's simple and easy to do! This rarely used booster is called drafting! Best used behind semi trucks. Where I would normally be getting around 12 MPGs going up a hill, I get 15. And when I'm just cruising down the highway, I get 30-40 where I would normally get 18-25. Just thought I should spread the knowledge! Just don't be in a hurry when you're trying to save gas because we all know semis like to go a little slower than we do.
just hope your brakes are good for when they brake check lol. you have a good point thou.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hmmmm... Intelligent. And you wonder why you must pay more for insurance being young.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not like NASCAR drafting. I stay about 2 truck lengths away and it still works wonders.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I heard truckers don't like this because they to burn more fuel as it causes more drag making the rig work harder. I deal with a lot of truckers and most o/o are hard pressed to make it these days.
Any truth to this theory?

·
Registered
747 Posts
40mpg :hah:
A 100% increase in fuel economy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
good way to get hurt. have you ever noticed those large chunks of tire treads along the side of the interstate? They are heavier than they look and will kill you at worst and do thousands in damage at best. Most big trucks (especially owner operators) run at least 4 retreads on the trailer in a 1:1 config with a new/real tire beside each one. You really shouldn't cruise anywhere near one on the highway. I get especially irritated when people in front of me ride along beside them at the speed limit rather than speed up to pass them, I'll pay the ticket to live another day

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I heard truckers don't like this because they to burn more fuel as it causes more drag making the rig work harder. I deal with a lot of truckers and most o/o are hard pressed to make it these days.
Any truth to this theory?
Drafting will definitely not affect the big rigs fuel economy. Although it's dangerous and illegal...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah I agree with most people on here. I try to stay away from big rigs as much as possible. It irritates me to see people that just don't care and will drive right beside them for miles. And the people that pass a big rig and then get right in front of them in the same lane. HELLO PEOPLE. If anything goes wrong that truck is not going to be able to stop in time. I always give a healthy amount of space before moving back over into the right lane in front of a big rig. My favorite is when driving in town, watching truckers lock up the wheels on the trailer at a red light because some idiot changed lanes right in front of them. From what I hear to be a trucker you gotta be have lots of patience and be very forgiving

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another reason the big trucks top speed is so slow, most company owned trucks are speed governed to 65. The independent trucks have no governor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mythbusters did this test in one of their shows. They did prove it helps on gas mileage but the problem was you had to be within so many feet to the back of the truck. It was less than a car length. So as stated previously in this thread, it becomes a safety issue as well as possible damage to your vehicle from rocks and what no

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
******** have been doing this for years... its called NASCAR lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts