DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been a bunch of similar threads but none take the problem to resolution. Help me here, and i'll make sure to post the final solution when i get there.

So there has been a growing growl sound coming from the front end, right side (best i can tell) for some time. Started small, now it's at a point that can't be ignored further. Definitely ground-speed-oriented, as it simply grows louder through about 60 mph, then partly attenuates as whatever it is, finds some high-speed balance point. Here is the best description i could find about the workings of this 4WD system.

At first, it was louder turning to the left than the right. Wheel bearing, of course. So i replaced the right wheel hub/bearing. (RockAuto - Moog Hub $135 !). This did not fix the problem. In fact, if anything it continues to get worse. :4-dontknow:

The inner end of the right driveaxle is oily/dirty, while the left side driveaxle is dry and rusty like everything else. So the right-side driveaxle seal on the front diff is leaking. Popped the fill cap, and added some 75W gear oil to full. No change in the sound. There is no play in the either joint of the driveaxle, and none of the popping/clicking CV joint sound at all.

So - next steps?

1. just change the driveaxle? The sound could be sourced in a bad needle bearing in the socket on the inner end of the outer driveaxle.
  2. pull the driveaxle, check the needle bearing, then if needed remove the boots and separate the joints to look for wear (lots of work, small parts, and if bad, replace whole axle anyway)
  3. figure out how to remove the intermediate (inner) driveaxle and Center Axle Disconnect housing and replace the intermediate shaft bearing.
  4. open the diff and replace all bearings.
  5. other thoughts and ideas?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Pull the drive shaft and see if the noise goes away (shaft u joints). Put it up on jack stands and turn the wheels by hand and see if you can pin point the noise.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Pull the half shaft. If it doesn't go away it most likely gear or bearing issue in the differential, if it does go away then you have isolated it to the half shaft and can narrow it down further.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, the front driveshaft does not rotate unless 4WD is engaged. So not the U-joints.

Pulling the half-shaft on the passenger side is great fun. if you count the CV joint assembly as one piece, this is a 3-piece axle. Outboard is the CV assembly. Middle is the Output Shaft. Inboard is the Intermediate shaft, which plugs into the carrier in the diff and which spins backwards during 2WD operation. Yep. left CV assembly pugs into the splined left intermediate shaft, and spins the spider gears which spins the right intermediate backwards. The right intermediate shaft ends in a female cavity with a pilot or needle bearing inside. The output shaft inboard end slips into the needle bearing and in normal driving the two shafts spin opposite direction joined at this bearing. Engage 4WD and after the tranafer case spins up, a little collar is pushed over by the CAD (Center Axle Disconnect) to drive the right front wheel. Problem is, when you pull the half shaft, the output shaft comes with it and it can't be easily disconnected.

Next problem, the flange and seal are trapped by the taper bearing on the output shaft. Pull the snap ring and remove the drive gear, then use a puller to pull the taper bearing off the output shaft, which finally frees the flange and seal. Replace the seal.Replace the CV assembly, and just for kicks buy a new output shaft with the bearing pressed on and a new drive gear. Apparently Rams are notorious for bad right front axle and this growling from the front axle. Seems the seal leaks oil, then the taper bearing dries out and burns up, and voila!

Me, i pressed the seal out of the flange, and went looking for a new seal. Hah. Nobopdy could even find it let alone stock it. tonight i bought the flange/seal assembly from RockAuto.

in a couple day i might have a working truck again. Next time - straight to the shop.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Beef , you wouldn't have been feeling a highs speed vibration say 65 or so ?? I read somewhere here or else where that a gentlemen greases his hub bearing through the ABS Sensor port .... I never heard of that and his vibration went away , just asking cause my trucks at the stealer for over a week with no answer but I got STAR on them hopefully it's fixed SOOON !!!
I've thought of trading but from what I can see ford and chevy are having there own issues as well with vibration. And the wonder why people go Jap...
Good Luck and happy 4 th

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, the front driveshaft does not rotate unless 4WD is engaged. So not the U-joints.

Pulling the half-shaft on the passenger side is great fun. if you count the CV joint assembly as one piece, this is a 3-piece axle. Outboard is the CV assembly. Middle is the Output Shaft. Inboard is the Intermediate shaft, which plugs into the carrier in the diff and which spins backwards during 2WD operation. Yep. left CV assembly pugs into the splined left intermediate shaft, and spins the spider gears which spins the right intermediate backwards. The right intermediate shaft ends in a female cavity with a pilot or needle bearing inside. The output shaft inboard end slips into the needle bearing and in normal driving the two shafts spin opposite direction joined at this bearing. Engage 4WD and after the tranafer case spins up, a little collar is pushed over by the CAD (Center Axle Disconnect) to drive the right front wheel. Problem is, when you pull the half shaft, the output shaft comes with it and it can't be easily disconnected.

Next problem, the flange and seal are trapped by the taper bearing on the output shaft. Pull the snap ring and remove the drive gear, then use a puller to pull the taper bearing off the output shaft, which finally frees the flange and seal. Replace the seal.Replace the CV assembly, and just for kicks buy a new output shaft with the bearing pressed on and a new drive gear. Apparently Rams are notorious for bad right front axle and this growling from the front axle. Seems the seal leaks oil, then the taper bearing dries out and burns up, and voila!

Me, i pressed the seal out of the flange, and went looking for a new seal. Hah. Nobopdy could even find it let alone stock it. tonight i bought the flange/seal assembly from RockAuto.

in a couple day i might have a working truck again. Next time - straight to the shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what was your final repair for this concern.I am having the same concern with my 2014 1500-4x4. it feels like the frt dif is spinning the spider gears and you feel as well as hear the hum in the cab.Im
trying to gather some info for this problem. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
what was your final repair for this concern.I am having the same concern with my 2014 1500-4x4. it feels like the frt dif is spinning the spider gears and you feel as well as hear the hum in the cab.Im
trying to gather some info for this problem. thanks in advance.
I regret to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your truck, @alo. If you work with your dealer at all to address this, I recommend reaching out to our Canadian Customer Care Team to have it documented. You can find their contact info by heading to Contacts | FCA Group and scrolling down to the 'Canada' tab.

Mark
RamCares

1 - 8 of 8 Posts