DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please redirect me if this conversation exists already.

I just rang up Bilstein and had a long talk with one of their 25 year fellas who had a lot of new info for me to think about.

First off, he squashed all the threads I've seen about getting 2.5" out of these shocks (wasn't planning on that anyhow because I dig the idea of 2") . The instructions themselves have stock through 2" settings listed. So there was something semi new.

He also had some info I hadn't really taken the time to think about before. We talking about the front differential and how high it sits after the 5100's go on. (don't know what the spacer lift guys can say to help tallie info on this.)

I've always wanted to throw on a 6" lift. I've eyeballed the Rough Country for my truck because I'm not really planning on beating up the kit too much. I take my truck out on hunting trips and play in the mud from time to time. I even cross a creek or two if the fishing looks better someplace else or I don't want to walk all the way to where I'm running trot lines.

To get back on track, I never really thought about the spindles dropping anything down in order to make clearance of tires better. 25 year Bilstein guy says you get more differential clearance because of the spring load after 5100's set at 2" than you do with a 6" lift.

I know there are more than one 6" lift kit out there for my truck but can you fellas shine some light on this for me?

I'm questioning the possibility of a 3" body lift on top of my 5100's now instead of a 6" lift.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a leveling kit put on my 2013 1500 but .......... unless i'm reading this wrong ........ the space between the ground and your differential (differential clearance) is all about tire size/height - and picking up your frame/body so that is not dragging the ground is all about suspension lift. Notwithstanding you will need a suspension lift if you get your tires big enough. My 1500 has stock tires so the leveling kit was OK but if I had the ca$h I would lift it 3 more inches even with stock tires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts