DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to take the driveshaft going to the front of the truck out so I can drive it without the 4 wheel drive capability. Any tips on how to do so and would I be able to drive the truck without the driveshaft going to the front or would that be a bad idea and cost me more problems? Also where would I be able to get a new front end and what kinda price range am I lookin at here? Any input would be helpful. Oh and I am new to the forum haha.

·
Registered
439 Posts
how come you wanna take it out? also im not really sure on the front diff price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right now it can freely move on its own so its almost like a bearing or seal blew completely. i also lost all of the fluid from the front end. i'm not entirely sure if the gears burned up or not either.

E

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a rebuild is in the future.

The driveline is connected to the differential by a set of U-Joints. Unbolt them. Then, back at the transfer case you have 4 bolts that go into a flange. Unbolt them. The driveline can then be removed.

E

·
0 Posts
start with a tow truck and a qualified shop. It may be an entire gear set or it may just be the pinion. No way of telling exactly what's wrong or what needs to be replaced until you get it apart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If someone can help me, I would also like to know how do I find the gear ratios on the front differential, it's a Dana 44 front axle.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
The ratio can be found in several places. There's a tag bolted to the rear diff, possibly one on the front diff and on the ring gear itself. If you look it will have something like 41:10 on it. This means the ring gear has 41 teeth and the pinion has 10. 41/10 = 4.10 ratio.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts