DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,171 Posts
This is my truck and I want to level the front end. On the window sticker it says Ride Height Raised but as you can tell it is not level. It is a 2022 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. What do you recommend And what will it do to my MPG? Can you add program to get better MPG? View attachment 145361
View attachment 145362
Raised ride height is the seats...not the body. I have the same thing in my Ram. I'm about to do the leveling kit on mine and I'm thinking either Bilstein 5100 or Rough country. The rough country struts come with new coils. In your case...I'd go with the Bilstein’s. Your truck is new so it won't need new coils. You might lose 1 mpg on the highway honestly, maybe 2 at the most depending on how you drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raised ride height is the seats...not the body. I have the same thing in my Ram. I'm about to do the leveling kit on mine and I'm thinking either Bilstein 5100 or Rough country. The rough country struts come with new coils. In your case...I'd go with the Bilstein’s. Your truck is new so it won't need new coils. You might lose 1 mpg on the highway honestly, maybe 2 at the most depending on how you drive.
Thanks for the clarification on what the ride height means. Has anyone used a programmer on there ECODIESEL to get better MPG?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Leveling is purely a personal appearance choice (unless you are actually looking for ground clearance/entry angle for off-roading).

Tuner is a another personal choice and, depending on the laws where you live, will determine the level of effort needed to ensure you conform to regulations or conceal your modification if you plan to keep it long enough and have to get it tested (smog, etc.).

Even if you plan on getting rid of it before that you will most likely void any engine warranty the moment you install it so take that into account also. Diesels are not cheap to fix and you will be cancelling out the next 3 years of free repairs by using a tuner and any issues that they can contribute to a modified engine.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
2,385 Posts
To level the much heavier diesel half ton, I'd recommend Bilstein 6112 coilovers.

Tuning a smoker requires a lot of research from a reliability/warranty/emissions and realistic performance goals standpoint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To level the much heavier diesel half ton, I'd recommend Bilstein 6112 coilovers.

Tuning a smoker requires a lot of research from a reliability/warranty/emissions and realistic performance goals standpoint.
Why do you recommend Bilstein 6112 coilovers over a Rough Country? Just curious

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,171 Posts
Why do you recommend Bilstein 6112 coilovers over a Rough Country? Just curious
The 6112s are really nice but are stiffer which means better for off road driving...especially over 10-15mph. I actually didn't know the front end of the diesels are heavier than a Hemi 1500...
As far as a tuner goes...not worth it in my opinion. The cost is going to exceed what you get out of any added mpgs by a long shot. Tuning is better for performance over anything else and with warranty issues.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The 6112 have an additional groove machined in for more preload specifically for the 3.0 diesel, the weight of the engine may be similar but supporting components/plumbing are far from an N/A 5.7 @ 500#. Although adding in the useless E-torque system on newer models probably makes them much closer.

Rough Country is no comparison to ride quality and longevity. Ride quality is subjective, but switching from Ram's plush OEM damper/spring setup to rough country is well, teeth chattering IMO.

Product Font Rectangle Line Parallel

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The 6112 have an additional groove machined in for more preload specifically for the 3.0 diesel, the weight of the engine may be similar but supporting components/plumbing are far from an N/A 5.7 @ 500#. Although adding in the useless E-torque system on newer models probably makes them much closer.

Rough Country is no comparison to ride quality and longevity. Ride quality is subjective, but switching from Ram's plush OEM damper/spring setup to rough country is well, teeth chattering IMO.

View attachment 145377
That may be so but the 6112s are definitely stiffer. That's why they reccomend them for high speed off road driving. And keep in mind I'm not talking about the Rough Country spacers, I'm talking about the loaded strut kit. Big difference. I do agree that Bilstein is a overall better option, but for me with 50k miles on my coils...it makes sense to get the RC which includes new ones.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I think the HEMI and EcoD are pretty close to the same weight and the Pentastar is around to 200 lbs lighter or so.
I knew I wasn't crazy lol. Yea so the 6112s are overkill especially if there's no off roading happening.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 6112s are really nice but are stiffer which means better for off road driving...especially over 10-15mph. I actually didn't know the front end of the diesels are heavier than a Hemi 1500...
As far as a tuner goes...not worth it in my opinion. The cost is going to exceed what you get out of any added mpgs by a long shot. Tuning is better for performance over anything else and with warranty issues.
Thank you for your help! I did not realize the ECODIESEL was heavier

·
Registered
390 Posts
The 5.7L V-8 is about the same as the 3.0L V-6 diesel. The heavier comparable weight is offset due to the smaller displacement (engine size) of the ED making them pretty close on the scale.

The weight difference is for the "big boys". When you jump from a 5.7L block to 6.7L cast iron monster with all the add-ons (turbo, IC, larger fluid capacities, EGR, etc.) then the weight really jumps up. My old 7.3L diesel long block weighed 1000 lbs dry compared to the ~500 lbs or so for the HEMI and ED.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Curious why bilstein jacks up the spring preload in the front so much more on the diesel configuration when it weighs nearly the same as the 5.7 hemi?

Center of mass location in relationship to the subframe. Wondering what the feedback is on the ED forum in regards to front leveling options...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed the Bilstein 6112 leveling kit. It is very well made. I set it at 2.4" and the cv axles are not at an extreme angle. The guy who did my alignment after I installed the kit said there was plenty of adjustment left in the suspension. I also installed the Bilstein rear shocks as well. The ride is superb. I don't have any experience with RC. My son installed a RC lift kit with front coil springs on his 2nd gen 1500 and there was several things he had to do to make it work after he installed the kit. It also rode very stiff. If you are concerned about your coils sagging from age, just get a new set and go with the Bilstein kit. I had a modified Jeep TJ that I put Rancho shocks on and after 2 years I put Bilstein shocks on it and it had a much better ride. Go with the best quality you can afford the first time, rather than pay twice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts