DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have owned my RAM (Nov 2015) i have periodically noticed a very light 'popping' noise coming from the front driver side of my truck. The noise sounded like rubbing/friction of some sort and is very short and sharp and only happens when i am turning my wheels right and almost to full extension. I can almost feel a light tapping under my feet when it does occur.It as of the last 3 months has become more pronounced.

I have brought the truck into the dealer 3 times now for the issue and it has gone as follows.

1st time(month 4) they accredditted the noise to "body flex" and explained that the frame contorts slightly with regular use and the noise must have been that.

2nd time(month 10) they diagnosed it again after doing a test drive with me as a bad strut assembely.thing is they replaced my passenger side. To which i made the argument that they should do the other side so there is even wear and tear. they did not say that this was neccessary because the truck only had 6000 MI or 10000 km. Needless to say that did not resolve the issue and i now have a new assesmbely on the passenger side.

3rd time(month 13)i explained the issue a little further in detail about what conditions it it most pronounced etc.they test drove the vehicle but couldnt replicate the noise due to poor snowy road conditions. They looked over everything and tested individual parts in my drivers side suspension and could not see anything wrong...they made the suggestion that perhaps the mopar OEM factory levelling kit(which i purchased and had installed by the dealer has caused the "approach angle" of the vehicle to change, causing a noise under certain circumstances. and that if so i would just have to live with it without removing the kit...

We are going to be doing another drive here in the coming week.

In my world...I would like my levelling kit to remain on my truck, with no noise, and a new strut assembely on my drivers side(for even wear and tear especially becuase it was a misdiagnosis). Is this asking to much without incurring additional costs outside of my warranty coverage?

I specifically asked when i purchased my mopar levelling kit from them at 500 kms if it would affect warranty and was told no.

I will be discussing these issues with the service department after the test drive. Until then...If anyone wants to give their opinion, whatever side of the fence that may be on i would love to hear it...

Cheers

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
unless they pinpoint the noise to the non replace strut assembly, i wouldnt need to have it changed. i would just want the issue fixed.

·
Premium Member
32,681 Posts
remember
you are fighting 3 groups that don't normally work together

the dealership service dept.
Ram Customer Warranty pen pushers
Then if it goes further Ram Engineers

if the dealership is on your side, they can only request that Ram Warranty pen pushers give them the OK to investigate further

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there are more steps that you can take,

you can ask for your dealership to assign a Star Case #

https://customerconnect.custhelp.com/app/fiat/b2c_detail/a_id/18141

Complain to NHTSA, they have complaint section

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/dodge_trucks.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
not sure if you got this resolved or not but I went threw a hell of a time with a similar issue multiple dealer visits to multiple dealers, when your truck is off turn the steering wheel back and forth ( not to aggressive) does it make a clunking sound ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts