DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 RAM 2500 2X4 Diesel Laramie (crew cab)

I love the truck but I am surprised that of all the bells and whistles on this truck there are no front parking sensors!

I often have to park in a tight spot with a regular sedan in front of me. Its impossible to guess where that low nose of the opposite car in the parking lot is.

What is the best way to add front sensors or even a front facing camera in the grill so I can see EXACTLY where the front is.

Are there open ports on the integrated system?
Not looking for something jury rigged....

If I end up with a front camera I might even want to connect it to a dvr as a crash cam...

Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thats hard to believe your truck didn't have front sensors! I have a 2014 Bighorn CC and I have them, and I am GLAD!

Back on subject. There is a thread in here about adding some software to your current system and you can add several cameras (front being one).

I think this is one option?
http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.

Indeed one would assume that front parking sensors would be standard on a $60k truck...

Thanks for the link. I will investigate it further. Stil open for other solutions.
Given the complexity of the electronics I prefer to have this work done by a well experienced installer....

Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

·
Registered
248 Posts
They are only available on the 1500s. It makes no sense I know. The bigger trucks are harder to see around . They dont work well in rain and snow. You can go with the link mentioned or you can try customtronix. You will be "hacking" your radio's software to add the camera. You can also add a cargo camera.

I have a 2014 RAM 2500 2X4 Diesel Laramie (crew cab)

I love the truck but I am surprised that of all the bells and whistles on this truck there are no front parking sensors!

I often have to park in a tight spot with a regular sedan in front of me. Its impossible to guess where that low nose of the opposite car in the parking lot is.

What is the best way to add front sensors or even a front facing camera in the grill so I can see EXACTLY where the front is.

Are there open ports on the integrated system?
Not looking for something jury rigged....

If I end up with a front camera I might even want to connect it to a dvr as a crash cam...

Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the update for my initial post:

I bought the Silver RAX-Jailbreak from Customtronics. . The package with camera and well made cable boom arrived quickly via FEDEX. The software needs to be downloaded from their website and is serialized to your truck. Once the software has been downloaded it needs to be loaded onto a USB stick.

I proceeded very carefully asking many "obvious" and seemingly "dumb" questions witch were promptly answered by Customtronics. Since I wasn't planning on rendering my brand new RAM 2500 4x4 Laramie useless I proceeded extremely carefully. Thankfully the installation went smooth (2 attempts). Please watch and listen to their instructional video's very carefully!!!!

Next step was the hardware installation. A quick look under the dash and hood discouraged me from trying to do this myself. So I went to a local car electronics installer audioexpertsusa where we spend over 4 hours carefully dissembling the center console and grill to install the cable boom and install the camera in the grill.

We installed the camera pointing almost straight down so I can see the bumper plus about 6 feet ahead. I also mounted a 2nd camera facing straight ahead for future use as I am waiting for the next hack where we can use call camera's as a security camera / crashcam...

Everything works perfect!
Under ± 7mph the front camera image is visible on the 8.4" in dash screen.
Above ± 7mph the regular U-Connect display is visible.
If you want the access the regular U-Connect display a simple tap on the screen brings it right back.

My apologies for my very fat Dutch accent in this brief video. I had a bad cold and was all congested making me sound terrible.. :-(

_DSC3062 by Rogier Diver, on Flickr

IMG_1981 by Rogier Diver, on Flickr

IMG_1983 by Rogier Diver, on Flickr

_DSC3066 by Rogier Diver, on Flickr

_DSC3064 by Rogier Diver, on Flickr

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's cool. Can you switch to the front sensor while driving?

Yeah it would be awesome if we could plug a hard disk into the system and use it as a crash cam as well. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What camera did you use for the front camera? I was thinking of using the lockpick unconnect v2. I don't suppose it really matters the camera but I'd like to know what cameras you guys have installed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts