DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all my steering gear except the steering shaft and steering box. I added a anti wobble bracket to capture the steering box at the pittman arm. I replaced the stock coil springs and shocks with Skyjacker parts and Max Power longer stabilizer bar links.
Now if I am traveling over 30mph and hit a bump I get a wild wheel hop and must immediately come to a stop. Obviously I can't drive it like this unless I stay under 25mph to be safe. Could this be a control arm issue? I still have the stock control arms. I do plan to replace them with much longer arms, but will that fix the problem? One part I haven't ordered and installed yet is the steering stabilizer shock. I am thinking about using a dual shock setup unless that's overkill.
Please advise.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I replaced my box and shaft with Borgeson stuff and even then I adjusted the box beyond the warranty. No matter,, it's works as it should. I think they threw a returned box in the mail and I got it. The steering shaft is what surprised me,,, I thought it was O K ,but it wasn't compared to the Borgeson shaft. The Rock solid steering column bushing was probably without a doubt,,, the best part of all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I do have a Borgeson shaft to install, and if that doesn't do much, I probably will replace the steering box. However all things being equal my problem must be related to the suspension lift, since no other parts were changed after it and I didn't have the problem before.
I believe the stock control arms are now at too steep an angle, hence not adding enough forward pressure to keep from having the axle shimmy back and forth. I plan on replacing the stock control arms, with six foot long tubes with heim joints. This will be a difficult job with axle attached.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I went with Energy Suspension bushings everywhere. If the box doesn't leak you might adjust it. Secure the steering wheel at the 10 o'clock position,,, adjust the top ever so lightly or nine inch pounds,,, tighten the lock nut and test it out anywhere but a school zone. If it even hint's at binding back it off a quarter turn and so on till it feels right. Dual steering stabilizers should be the standard on these heavy trucks. I'm telling you,,, the rock solid ram steering column bushing is the best thing ever. I love the idea of long control arms,but six footers might be a little nuts, I'd think foot footer would make more sense, I'm just guessing here. I'm thinking the top control arm can be fitted to the lower control arm frame mount and a new lower arm built from original axle mount to a drop bracket just under the seat area.

·
Registered
414 Posts
This site used to show what truck people have. Mine is an 01' 2500HD 4x4 quad cab. All the stuff I've done so far seems to work quite well as I can drive 80 mph and feel good about it. And on rough roads,,, the rougher it get ,,,the better it likes it. Handles rough stuff way better than my 2016 Super-duty 4x4 250. I tossed the RE46 over my neighbors fence into the scrap pile eight years or more ago and haven't regretted that move yet. That trans swap left me with 4:10 axles gears that I not sure the factory ever offered with an NV 4500 5-speed. In fifth gear on the road it doesn't start pulling good till about 75-80. I get 19 mpg on a regular basis but don't try too hard for economy,,,,I'd take the VW jetta for that. Make extra sure your front hub unit bearing are good, as they can be a lot of the problem when worn. Don't ask how I know this,,,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts