DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 dodge ram 1500 5.2l.
do i have to replace the fuel pump to replace the fuel filter? or can i just replace the filter?

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
do you even have an in line fuel filter?? if you do, you can take it off & replace it, OR, i have taken fuel filters off & blown backwards through them to get home or until i had the $$$
most newer vehicles have the fuel pump inside the tank, not, like the old days when it was mounted on the side of the engine
in tank fuel pumps are expensive & i don't know if those filters can be changed out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope i dont have an inline filter..its on the pump..but a buddy of mine with same truck and set up as me said his dad managed to replace the filter. i dont see how considering its mounted on the pump. and ya that pump if i have to replace it is gonna run me a couple hundred. not awesome.
thanks for the input though ha

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
:smiledown:My 1999 i had was all in one. Unfortunately i had to replace all. Sending unit.........$$$$$$$$$$$$$All in the tank.

E

·
0 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately you have to get to it from the tank.

Poor design. It needs a filter sock at the pump suction end and an inline filter on the inside of the frame rail so you can get to it!

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
You don't need to replace it . It's not necessary . It gets replaced when you replace the pump . It's more less a strainer . Keeps the big stuff out .

·
Registered
20 Posts
It acts pressure regulator and filter together. Its designed to last the life of the pump so replacing it by itself will not be worth the effort or the money. Most parts stores will only sell the pump by itself for this reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts