DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just change fuel pump bought a used one so far pump works fine but it shows gas being empty its a 1997 ram 1500 it worked before the float seemed to be free i alined the arrow up with the tank any help:doh:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
just change fuel pump bought a used one so far pump works fine but it shows gas being empty its a 1997 ram 1500 it worked before the float seemed to be free i alined the arrow up with the tank any help:doh:
The used one probably had a bad sending unit also, you could of bought a new pump for 130 bucks with a lifetime warranty. But it can be the gauge it self, their is no real way to test other then replacing them.

I can tell you one thing I drove for many miles with a broken gauge and so did the preivous owner and I can tell you it was amazing when I replaced my pump to see a working fuel gauge, I still get tickled by it.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
There may be a problem with the float. Even though the arrows are lined up it may have jammed on the way in.

Or there could be a crack in the float and it sank to the bottom of the tank.

Sonoctavio just replaced his and posted pics of the pump under a thread called, best way to replace the fuel pump. The float should just pop off and you can replace it. I usually plug the entire unit in and test the float/level before I install it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts