DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Trying to get my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.9 V8) back to full speed.

Started up and pulled out one morning last week, but the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) lamp lit immediately. Truck was running a little rough, so I returned home.

I checked the error codes, and saw only code P02024 (improper voltage at fuel injector #4).

Once under the hood, I realized that some critter had crawled under the hood and chewed off the power wires to fuel injector #4.

I checked the resistance of injectors #2 and #4, and they matched at 13 ohms, so I don’t think the injector itself is faulty.

I repaired the two power leads to injector #4, and compared them to those of #2. With the engine off, one lead has a solid connection to ground (as it should) at each injector. On injector #2 (working correctly) the other lead has no connection to ground. But, on injector #4 (causing the error), the second lead has a high-resistance (3 kilo-ohm) connection to ground.
This makes me think that something has shorted in the PCM circuit controlling injector #4.

Does this make sense? Is this something I can tackle myself? I’m reasonably competent with electrical systems.

I thank you in advance for any suggestions, hints, or comments.

Cheers –

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Disconnect the PCM connector and injector 4 and then check your continuity again. If it's good, your PCM is probably fried.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion.

I did disconnect the PCM, and then the connectivity on all of the injectors was the same (one lead direct the ground, the other lead with no path to ground).

So, the problem is not in the wires that were chewed off and then repaired.

Time for a new PCM? I see that I can buy them online, ranging from $150 (used), $250 (refurbished), and closer to $400 (after-market, new).

If I get one pre-programmed with the VIN and mileage, is there anything else to do?

Thanks again -
PMN

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
The only thing you might need to do is program the security system if your truck is so equipped and possibly the mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuel injector power error - SOLVED

I found a used PCM online (on eBay) for $160. Had to supply the vendor with the VIN and mileage, and confirm that there was no security system installed. After that it was only a 5 minute task to swap out the old one and put in the replacement (3 screws and 3 electrical plugs).

Two days later, so far, so good - everything seems to be working fine.

Thank you VERY much for the help.

Cheers -

·
Registered
100 Posts
O'Reilly has them for 150 plus the core and tax ( well around here at least )

I had the same problem with mine at it was getting a signal on 2 injector(s) ... seems like a common thing w/ these truck(s) ( at least w/ me ).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts