DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm a newbie here. Took my 09 Hemi in to a local mechanic for an oil change, and they "strongly recommended" cleaning my fuel injectors. Checked the owners manual/maintenance schedule, and don't see anything about servicing fuel injectors. I've got around 22k on my baby, and I wanna take care of him. Any suggestions? Worthwhile expense, or waste of money? :4-dontknow:

Thanks!!!!

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
53,800 Posts
First, welcome to the forum! Next, and this is just my opinion, but all they're going to do is something you can do yourself and charge you for it, run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in it, but I have almost 29K on my truck and have not done this, nor is it recommended in my owner's manual, either. Like I said, this is just one person's opinion and I'm sure others on here will add their advice/recommendations, but I don't see where that would be necessary. When you get a chance, be sure to introduce yourself to everyone in the Newbie Checkin and get your official Ram Z welcome! :)

- Cajun

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
I'm sure their strong reccomendation is largely profit driven. I would get a good fuel system treatment such as STP and add it to your tank. If you're mechanically inclined, you can do your own throttle body cleaning.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It has always been my understanding that most gasoline formulations will clean the injectors on their own. The only time they would have to be serviced/cleaned would be due to contamination or failure. I've never used any "cleaners" in any vehicle I've owned and never had a problem.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
It has always been my understanding that most gasoline formulations will clean the injectors on their own. The only time they would have to be serviced/cleaned would be due to contamination or failure. I've never used any "cleaners" in any vehicle I've owned and never had a problem.
That's one way to look at it. But it never hurts to run a bottle through it every six months to a year depending on how many miles you put on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Am actual clogged injector or REALLY hard to come by. A can of seafoam every once in a while won't hurt anything.

Now, dirty intakes, valves and anything else in your intake system from the EGR back IS GOING TO GET FILTHY. A dose of seafoam once(or more depending how much you hate your neighbors) a year through the intake will keep it pretty clean.

Tom

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you don't have a helper to rev the engine as you add the sea foam, or you don't want to start unplugging vacuum houses, does it do as good a job added to the fuel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts