DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a fuel leak lately and have been trying to track down the cause. The engine popped up with a PO449 code, and I can see where the gas runs down and drips off of the tank. After some research online it says that it could possibly be a clogged charcoal canister, a vacuum line, or a clogged vent hose. In the Haynes manual it says to check the "vent valve/solenoid circuit."

About a week ago I ran some airline out from the garage and took the gas cap off and for lack of a better description pressurized the tank. I cleared the engine code, and no noticeable leak was seen for a week. Today I noticed it again. Tried to blow the lines again but this time it's not helping. After pressurizing the tank I reached up and felt the top of the tank. I don't feel gas coming from any of the lines, but gas is coming out on and around the plastic locknut on top of the tank. I haven't dropped the tank out of her yet as I'm still trying to figure out possible solutions.

Any thoughts or ideas on this matter would be appreciated.

Regards,
Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

I haven't dropped the tank out of her yet, as I'm still trying to get the money for parts. But have done some research and talked to a few friends, of which, one had a similar problem. Said the O-Ring that goes under that plastic locknut may have decayed and that the easiest and cheapest way to reliably fix it is to take the nut off and silicone around it then tighten it back down.

I'll post more when I drop the tank and do the repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Fixed

I lucked out and didn't have to drop the tank nor pull the bed. I barely had enough space to squeeze myself in from the driver's side and be able to use one hand on top of the tank. I pressurized the tank with a grease rag and air nozzle. Turns out the vent on top of the tank had cracked out and I was able to use a vacuum fitting and a hose clamp to seal it.

So far, no more leaks, and it also solved the EVAP engine code. Sorry for not checking in sooner with this info, but honestly, I forgot my login for a while there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries. Nothing a little ingenuity can't cure, right? Another update on my "fix"... Turns out vacuum end caps weren't up to the challenge. They kept rotting about once a month, so I finally cut a length of 3/8" fuel line, put a bolt in the end that is held in place with a hose clamp, and used another hose clamp to secure it to that vent tube on the tank. Haven't had a problem with the tank since. If I remember to take my camera out with me I'll snap a pic of the fix. I need to climb under her again tomorrow, my exhaust came free from the exhaust manifold today. Breaking out some more nylock nuts, lock washers and locktite. Also, the Check Engine light came on, checked the code (P0303) but still need to look that one up. It figures, I finally pay off the loan and stuff starts popping up left and right, but at least she's paid off. Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More fun

The only pic I took today was of the fix for the fuel tank issue.

As for my P0303, it turned out that the plug wire for #3 had loosened up. Tightened it with a pair of channel locks before putting it back on. Also went ahead and changed the plugs while I was under the hood. The only thing I have found that I dread on the V10 is changing the plugs (#9 is a PITA, but you all knew that already as did I.). Also tightened up my exhaust at the manifolds, and found my truck has a rattly cat. But, that will have to wait until I have the funds to do it.

Only things on my hit list for her now are:
1) New Cat/Muffler/Exhaust
2) K&N Cold Air Intake
3) Find a decent tuner
4) Paint (Thinking Milspec aircraft paint, still have a few colors on the shelf but think that sky blue and cloud grey would go excellent together, or maybe poppy orange)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.