DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone help me with this one. How accurate is the fuel mileage indicator on the dash? It's showing around 15.5-15.6 around town (mixed driving), but I haven't filled it to the top to verify if it is even close.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In my 05 it's off by about .5 mpg to the high side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is almost exactly what I get around town. Just do a fill up and note your milage, then when you refill not how many gallons it takes and your new milage. Little math and you will have your average for that fillup. Again all that is based on your right foot and highway use.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just filled up today and did the hand calculation. The EVIC indicator was dead on at 14.3 mpg average. I'm hoping for improvement as the hemi breaks in. Driving is mixed, about half highway and half around town stop & go.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I dunno guys, did we buy our luxury trucks with a 5.7 liter to get good mileage. LOL. Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of checking out the average MPGs too, but it's kinda funny that we do that.

My neighbor was was telling me (showing off, or being jealous of my badarse truck) how they can drive from OH to FL and get about 50 MPGs. I then told him about the accident that I saw happen right in front of us (on the same trip) where a small car (couldn't really tell what it was) was rear ended by a truck...sucks because it was a mother with an infant in the back...we stopped as well as a plethora of other people...I'll just leave it there. I think he got the point.

Funny thing is, that my wife, (a CPA) complained when I told her my truck needed 89 octane...after that accident she said she would be willing to spend many more dollars at the pump as long as we (us and the kids) were safe in a similar situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have not reset mine since new(1200 miles) and it's showing 16.0mpg Hand calculated showed 15.7mpg.......As they say, "close enough for government work".:smileup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to the fuelly.com website, the average for a "V8 powered 2012 Dodge Ram 1500" is 15.9mpg. That's a compilation of 105 fuel-ups over 31,000 miles (all user-contributed).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Last 1000 miles of city only I'm sitting at 13.0mpg avg (havent taken any highway trips with this one yet), my 2010 (same truck pretty much) always hovered at 15.6mpg combined hwy/city. I have hand calculated the 2010 several times both hwy and city and the EVIC was +/- .5mpg so its pretty close.

Not going to win any MPG contests thats for sure :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
It's nice to try to get decent mileage but it's great to punch it too. I get to watch the effects of both with mine.

Me..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Your truck doesn't need 89 octane. It will run fine on 87. 89 is recommended but not necessary.
I'm trying to understand why 89 is recommended. If 87 is fine, why don't they just say 87?

I had a tuner for my Mustang, and from what I understood, the higher octane tunes were for advanced timing. The higher octane was needed so that the engine would not ping.

If 89 is recommended there must be a reason...

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I remember reading about this somewhere don't quote me on this but...89 is recommended because that's what they designed the hemi to run on.

87 is okay because the PCU will just adjust the timing a bit for whatever fuel you have in the tank.

From what I remember running 87 may mean a slight decrease in hp/tq but I've never noticed any change in MPG.

Like I said I don't quote me here I am just trying to think back to an article I read about this subject...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I remember reading about this somewhere don't quote me on this but...89 is recommended because that's what they designed the hemi to run on.

87 is okay because the PCU will just adjust the timing a bit for whatever fuel you have in the tank.

From what I remember running 87 may mean a slight decrease in hp/tq but I've never noticed any change in MPG.

Like I said I don't quote me here I am just trying to think back to an article I read about this subject...
Thanks for the post. Not sure the PCU can tell what octane you have in the tank. However, it may be able to detect ping or knock and adjust accordingly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts