DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just had this happen on my '19 4th gen. New nozzles at Costco is my guess because it's not happened anyplace else. Had to reposition the angle and direction several times before it'd pump properly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7L engine. A relative was driving it when the plastic fan blade from the electric engine cooling fan broke and went through the radiator. There was also a mechanical fan that wasn't damaged. Said relative kept driving the car until the engine badly overheated the engine and damaged it beyond repair.

I had to replace the engine, radiator, fan shroud, and the electric afan to the tune if 4400 dollars my cost.

I was unhappy, and did research,,, found a recall. My VIN number was one stinking digit out of the range of VIN numbers in the recall. FCA said "too bad"! "Can't help"!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fuel Not Going in Tank

My 2009 Laramie did the same thing. a buddy said he thought the roll over ball in the tank that prevents fuel spillage in the event of a roll over may be stuck in the filler neck.
Sure enough. I blasted it with full force of a pump for a second and it fixed the problem. Not sure if it was the ball or not. But I never fill it all the way any more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Seems to be patternistic with FCA. I had a customer with a 2005 Town and country van that would stall out rich immediately following a fill up. Starting the car was a real odyssey. It took several minutes to get it started (it was flooded)…. and would run real bad until the excess fuel was burned from the cylinders. Turned out to be a stuck open roll over valve. Replacement of the tank and draining liquid fuel from the vapor canister fixed it...

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
2005 would've been a Daimler Chrysler, not FCA.

How does a stuck rollover valve flood the engine?

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
From what i have read on the EVAP system:

The fuel filler tube has the larger tube for filling the gas tank, there is also a much smaller tube that is called the vent tube, it lets air come out of the fuel tank as the tank fills up with gas, this is its main purpose.
With some fuel nozzles, especially the short curved nozzles, liquid gas is allowed to enter that vent tube & no air can escape from the fuel tank, therefore the tank will not release the air, so gas can't enter the tank, ( think of you trying to fill a spray bottle with water using full pressure, no air can escape & no water enters the bottle ).
The tank builds up pressure & the fuel nozzles pressure sensor reads that pressure as if the tank was at the full level & shuts itself off.

There are 2 ways to keep that from happening, the first is to have a longer gas station fuel nozzle, the 2nd way is to raise the positioning of the vent tube.

FCA can't control the size, shape or length of the gas station nozzles, so they have modified the vent tubes position. You can see the newest filler tube modification that seems to be working the best.

See the tube on the right

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
The same filler neck vent tube hose connects to the gas tank at the same place as the fuel tanks Roll Over Valve
Right next to that vent tube at the roll over valve is a another vapor hose that leads to the charcoal canister.
IF you over fill the gas tank, ( topping off the tank ), the liquid gas has to go some where, so it travels out into the 2nd hose & goes directly into the charcoal canister & soaks the charcoal, therefore breaking the charcoal down.
Once the charcoal begins to break down, a signal is sent to the CPU & the CPU starts making several adjustments to the air fuel ratio as well as other things. The adjustments usually don't work & the is engine shut down & you get a no start condition :(

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but i hope that i have given some insight to how the system works :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
526 Posts
The same filler neck vent tube hose connects to the gas tank at the same place as the fuel tanks Roll Over Valve
Right next to that vent tube at the roll over valve is a another vapor hose that leads to the charcoal canister.
IF you over fill the gas tank, ( topping off the tank ), the liquid gas has to go some where, so it travels out into the 2nd hose & goes directly into the charcoal canister & soaks the charcoal, therefore breaking the charcoal down.
Once the charcoal begins to break down, a signal is sent to the CPU & the CPU starts making several adjustments to the air fuel ratio as well as other things. The adjustments usually don't work & the is engine shut down & you get a no start condition :(

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but i hope that i have given some insight to how the system works :4-dontknow:
The moral to the story is DO NOT TOP OFF YOUR TANK or you could (probably will) pay the price.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
Ram modified the Gas Fuel Filler Neck so the gas station nozzle will come out much easier & they moved the vent tube up so that the nozzles don't shut off as easily

Ask your dealership about this part 0053452280-001

·
Registered
43 Posts
my 2018 ram 1500 does this if i get below 1/4 tank. been to the dealer 3 times and they never can duplicate it,happens at multiple gas station. as long as it does not get below 1/4 i can fill it normally

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had/have the same problem on my '05 Ram 1500. Mechanic diagnosed it and reopened the rollover valve. Happened again a few weeks later. Brought it back to mechanic and they said I would need a new gas tank. Well, let's just say that the poly 26 gallon tank is NOT cheap. There are many "fixes" for this problem online. I keep a broomstick in the truck and tap the top of the tank where the rollover valve and vent valves are. Guess what? Fixed, albeit temporary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently have this problem with my 2018 Ram w/ 12,000 miles on it. Seems some gas stations work fine, others don't. I figured it was something with the speed of the fuel coming out...? I didn't realize it was this widespread of an issue. Maybe I'll contact the dealer now...

·
Registered
43 Posts
my 2018 ram 1500 does this if i get below 1/4 tank. been to the dealer 3 times and they never can duplicate it,happens at multiple gas station. as long as it does not get below 1/4 i can fill it normally
Exactly the same with my 2018 .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had both the sloshing out problem and within the last month it is hard to fill my 08 ram. Got a letter from Chrysler saying they had extended the warranty for this issue. Took my truck in last week and they replaced the filler tube and the check valve. I went to fill and the same thing but so sloshing out. Took it back today and they ordered the parts again to replace in case they got defective parts. They tell me that if this does not fix the problem, it could be the fuel pump going bad. Sound reasonable to any of you?
same problem

·
Registered
18 Posts
ani solution !
It's the rollover valve that gets stuck closed preventing air from escaping and not allowing anything to come in. Think of trying to put fill a water bottle with a garden hose attached. Unfortunately the valve is built in to the tank. I tap on the top if the tank to release it. Some have used WD-40 through the vent tube and others have drilled a hole in the tank and installed a fitting and hose to allow the air to escape. If these are no option than you need a new tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the opposite of this issue on my 2011... it won't shut off right away and spits about a cup of gas out and down the truck.
I had the same issue with it taken a while to fill up and shutting off. They have fixed that issue but now like you say if overflows like a cup full. Yes would love to know how to fix this issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem on a different vehicle where spiders had built egg sacks in the overflow tube causing nowhere for the pressure to go so it would just back up the fill tube and shut off the fill nozzle, Once it was cleared out the problem was solved. Sounds dumb but worth a look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an issue with the fuel tank on my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 not wanting to take on fuel, it took over 30-45 minutes to fill up from empty every time...and I put up with it for a year! Well I finally fixed it using the guidance below. If anyone else is having this issue, hopefully you will also find it helpful.

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 14-001-09, DATED

APRIL 15, 2009, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A

COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT

REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:

Hard To Fill With Fuel Or Fuel Nozzle Shuts Off Repeatedly

MODELS:

2004 -2008 (CS) Pacifica
2009 (DS) [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Ram Truck[/COLOR][/COLOR] (1500)
2007 - 2009 (DH) Ram Truck (1500/2500 Pick Up)
2004 - 2009 (DR) Ram Truck (1500 / 2500 Pick Up)
2005 - 2009 (HB) [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Durango[/COLOR][/COLOR]
2007 - 2009 (HG) Aspen
2005 - 2009 (ND) Dakota
2009 (JC) Journey
2007 - 2009 (JK) Wrangler
2007 - 2009 (J1) Sebring (China CKD)
2007 - 2009 (JS) Sebring/Sebring Convertible/Avenger
2006 - 2009 (K1) Cherokee (CKD)
2007 - 2009 (KA) Nitro
2008 - 2009 (KK) Liberty
2008 - 2009 (KK) Cherokee (International Markets)
2005 - 2007 (KJ) Liberty
2005 - 2007 (KJ) Cherokee (International Markets)
2005 - 2009 (LE) 300C/300C Touring (International Markets)
2005 - 2009 (LX) 300/Magnum/Charger
2007 (L2) 300 (China)
2008 - 2009 (LC) Challenger
2004 - 2009 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser

NUMBER: 14-001-09 REV. A

GROUP: Fuel

DATE: September 1, 2009

2007 (R2) Caravan/Voyager (CKD)
2005 - 2007 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
2003 - 2007 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
2008 - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan
2008 - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Voyager (International
Markets)
2005 - 2006 (TJ) Wrangler
2005 - 2009 (WH) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
2005 - 2009 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2006 - 2009 (XH) Commander (International Markets)
2006 - 2009 (XK) Commander

NOTE: This bulletin applies to all vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine.

DISCUSSION:

Customer may report that the vehicle is hard to fill with fuel or that the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]fuel pump[/COLOR][/COLOR] nozzle
shuts off repeatedly while trying to fill vehicle.
This customer complaint can occur due to a number of different causes. The fuel tank is
the least likely cause of this condition. The following Diagnostic procedure can be used to
diagnose the issues.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. Is the vehicle a LX/LE/LC/L2?
a. Yes >> proceed to Step #2
b. No >> proceed to Step #4
2. Idle the vehicle 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping.
3. Does tank refill properly?
a. No >> proceed to Step #4
b. Yes >> Inform the customer to idle the vehicle for 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping if
vehicle was driven aggressively. This is due to the fact that on the LX/LE/LC/L2 the
fuel tank is a unique saddle tank design and needs 30 to 60 seconds while the
engine is running to level the fuel in both half's of the fuel tank. Allowing the vehicle
to idle for this amount of time will let the fuel pump transfer fuel to the left side tank,
opening the control valve and allowing normal fuel filling.
4. Disconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
5. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
6. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Proceed to Step #7
b. No>> Proceed to Step #11.
7. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
8. Disconnect the other end of the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel filler tube.
9. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
10. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Replace fuel filler tube.
b. No >> Replace the vapor recirculation tube.
11. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
14-001-09 REV. A -2-
12. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
13. Does tank refill properly?
a. No >> Replace Fuel Tank.
b. Yes >> Proceed to Step #14.
14. Reconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
15. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the EVAP canister.
16. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
17. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Blockage is in the EVAP Canister, or ESIM, or Clean air hose (ESIM vent
hose), or filter. Diagnose appropriately.
b. No >> Replace the control valve to EVAP canister tube.

POLICY:

Information Only
-3- 14-001-09 REV. A
I appreciate all of the information and have started trouble shooting this issue on my 2004 Ram 1500. The snag is that I have not found any parts in the fuel or emission system called a "vapor recirculation tube." Can someone help me translate this to the term used in parts list?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts