DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i just got my 05 and seems like it was running fine now i have a problem with low idle chugging like its not getting enough gas it seems like this just started a week or two ago all i have changed was did my first oil change moble one oil 5w-20 but i used a fram filter ( i already have decided to switch to diff oil filter so dont beat me up to bad bout using the fram ) started using mid grade gas , changed out the stock air filter for a replacement high flow one ... other then that no other changes made ... has 66k miles and i dont think plugs have been replaced, egr maybe , do i need to clean my TB ? any ideas ? thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
You'd be wise to do all of your fluids and a full tune up. Everything is supposed to be done in 15k and 30k mile intervals but rarely do people maintain their vehicles properly. Plugs are a must at this point. Take off the tb and egr and clean them. Replace the pcv valve. The fram filter does suck but I don't think you'll blow up the truck using it. Just make sure to change your oil at 3000 mi with it installed and buy a Mobil 1 or 5k+ filter next time. You should also do your brake fluid, power steering, trans and filters, transfer case, and front and rear differentials. There are tons of threads around if you DIY and it'll save you a ton of money. Get them changed now and get a schedule for replacement going accordingly and you will enjoy a mostly trouble free ram for many years to come.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys thanks alot i have started going through all of the things that i can one by one and i will clean out the tb and egr this weekend and get a new pcv .... also next weekend i will take on the plugs . should i go ahead and replace my wire while im at it and if so are there better aftermarket ones or just go back with stock . i will get some sea foam and try that as well thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Change the fuel filter BK 44 cleaner smokes them all.

Wires should be fine for the miles.

Little secret out of 100 fuel filters I change out, 98 are over do. If anything comes out of the inlet side when U pour the gas out, like anything other then clear fuel U have junk in the tank.

Ask the poor customer the blew up a cummins with less then 80K miles cause he never changed the FF, which in turn plug up the injectors.

Bill is over 20K at the dealer for a RRR !! All because of a poor maintenance !

·
Registered
105 Posts
Our fuel filters are not designed as a routine maintenance swap. It would be nice to have access to it but oh well. They say it's a lifetime filter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ok so i just got my 05 and seems like it was running fine now i have a problem with low idle chugging like its not getting enough gas it seems like this just started a week or two ago all i have changed was did my first oil change moble one oil 5w-20 but i used a fram filter ( i already have decided to switch to diff oil filter so dont beat me up to bad bout using the fram ) started using mid grade gas , changed out the stock air filter for a replacement high flow one ... other then that no other changes made ... has 66k miles and i dont think plugs have been replaced, egr maybe , do i need to clean my TB ? any ideas ? thanks
Have you checked for any stored codes? You don't need a scanner. Without starting the truck, turn the ignition switch ON-OFF-ON. Codes will show up in the odometer display on your dash. Service manual is also very helpful. Bought the factory one for my truck on e-bay for $15.00. It's on a CD.
You can also disconnect the battery, wait 5 minutes, reconnect and the computer will return to the default settings. It will then take several miles for it to adjust to all the inputs for best driveability.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i went to auto parts store and fuel filter is in the tank and thanks for all the help and ideas . just need to work through them all now

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there any kind of cleaner that will disolve whats clogged up inside the filter?

Basically...what I am asking is, if I suspect my filter is plugged up...is there any cheap / easy fix?

·
Registered
34 Posts
No one here has ever had to add anything to their fuel tank because of signs of a fuel delivery issue?

What do you guys do?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If the fuel filter really is clogged then you need to drop the tank and remove the filter from the top of it. A total pain in the ass. Why exactly do you suspect the filter? Did it sit forever with gas that went bad and built a varnish or something? It's not out of the question but seems a little unlikely that it's the cause of your issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts