DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'm new here and would like to say hi. Second my 96 ram 4x4 5.9 v8 news a fuel pump checked rockauto.com and was gonna order it because they are about 100$ less on rock auto but they were asking if it was 4 or 6 pin electrical connection. I like to take stuff apart and put it right back together with no delay. I was wondering if anybody had any input on this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
First I'm new here and would like to say hi. Second my 96 ram 4x4 5.9 v8 news a fuel pump checked rockauto.com and was gonna order it because they are about 100$ less on rock auto but they were asking if it was 4 or 6 pin electrical connection. I like to take stuff apart and put it right back together with no delay. I was wondering if anybody had any input on this. Thanks
It is a 4 pin. You have pump power, sender unit power, ground, sender unit signal out. The newer ones are 6 pin because they have fuel pressure sender and a low fuel warning light, and the sensor for that is in the tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm having another issue now I'm throwing 2 codes one for a rich condition in bank one and one for a lean condition in bank one I know I have a vacuum leak I broke aplastic tube I'm gonna fix today would a vacuum leak cause that

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Fixed the vacuum leaks but truck still threw the same 2 codes I'm kinda confused how is it both rich and lean in bank one bad injector?
Could be a bad injector, could be a misfire... Although, if it was a misfire you would likely have a misfire code (1996+ years). See without a professional scan tool so you can run tests, it is hard to diagnose anything. A vacuum leak, fuel injector, valve, you name it and it could possibly cause it. I could go remove the plugs and see if there are any that are fouling up. Here is a chart, you can find which cylinder is running rich or lean http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-j0zzs4Ml8...ACt8/Z--jY0NwoDs/s1600/Spark+Plug+Reading.jpg

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
So when it says bank one its refering to all 4 cylinders on the drivers side so in theory one could be rich and one could be lean and give me both codes. Its strange though cause its running so smooth.
Yup, a bank is a row of cylinders. Bank one is usually cylinders 1-3-5-7, and bank two is usually cylinder 2-4-6-8.
In theory yes one could be rich and the other could be lean. I would try and get a professional scan tool, an MT2500 would be the best. I have one and it is helpful. If you have this tool it can help you figure out if this is possibly a worn out oxygen sensor issue, maybe a issue with misfire. With the tool it has a misfire counter built in. So you can find out in the drop of a hat if it is misfiring. Just without any tools you have to inspect plugs and have a good ear to listen for misfires. Usually misfires sound somewhat like a pinging. Only it is a bit more faint. There is a special tool that is used to check for a misfiring injector, the tool is expensive but it works similar to an A/C current detector (just like electricians have). The pro scan tool isn't the end all, but it really helps point you in a direction. If the engine is controlled by a computer, the best place for information is the computer...

Anyways, check the plugs, see if something is rich or lean. Then you can mark that cylinder and figure out if it is fuel related for possibly spark related. Since you have had problems with the fuel pump my guess is that you have something fuel injector related. Possibly a sticking injector or something. If you can find out which cylinder is having a misfire you could rule out fuel injector by swapping the suspect injector with the neighboring injector and see if that neighbor cylinder misfires as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
6 pin

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is a 4 pin. You have pump power, sender unit power, ground, sender unit signal out. The newer ones are 6 pin because they have fuel pressure sender and a low fuel warning light, and the sensor for that is in the tank.
Way to change if you have the pump already that's a four-pin cuz you are smart enough to check for the six pin like myself I have the four pin now and I have a six plug wire harness is there a way to get that to work because in the plug it the other two wires that ain't running the fuel gauge in the high and low pressure hose or pressure they go to nothing on the other side of the plug that goes down into the pump there's four wires that go inside to the pump so where do they go you know are they just connected to a ground what what are they we have to bust that plug apart to figure that out where the wires connect to cuz in the plug they connect to nothing so how are they getting a return to the computerl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts