DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks ago with no warning, would crank, but not start. Dealer said it was block mounted fuel pump, and replaced it with aftermarket since Moapr no longer makes. 2 weeks later, will not start until about 5th try. Ok for another week, and again will not start until 10 or more attempts. Been in shop for three days and cannot duplicate. Their only answer is to 'guess' and start replacing more expensive parts. I suspect something other than fuel pump from day one, and misdiagnosed. 1999 with 180k. All recommended service since new and never any abuse or heavy hauling. Any ideas??

·
Registered
240 Posts
3 weeks ago with no warning, would crank, but not start. Dealer said it was block mounted fuel pump, and replaced it with aftermarket since Moapr no longer makes. 2 weeks later, will not start until about 5th try. Ok for another week, and again will not start until 10 or more attempts. Been in shop for three days and cannot duplicate. Their only answer is to 'guess' and start replacing more expensive parts. I suspect something other than fuel pump from day one, and misdiagnosed.
I don't & should ask one of the forum administrators about posting a ISB Cummins injection pump message 'cause the Bosch VP44 that comes on all 1998.5 thru 2001 Cummins trucks is a known issue & I've discussed the problem in several different threads. The computer part of the injection pump, due to a poor design & Gov't.-reguation required lead-free solder, always fails sooner or later -- it's not a matter of IF it's just a matter of WHEN & they give no advance warning, they just quit.

Those long, tall Frieghtliner "Sprinter" vans, sold by Frieghtliner, Dodge & Mercedes, use a 3.7L Mercedes V-6 diesel, but the same exact VP44 injector pump & when they started breaking down all over North America, Frieghtliner evidently gave Bosch an earful & a new computer for the VP44 was designed. But Dodge dealers do not have them & mine wasn't aware that the Frieghtliner upgrade even existed.

I got my new VP44 from Blue Chip Diesel in New Hampshire & there are probably other companies which have the upgrade too. The stock pump failed just out of warranty but the dealer replaced it under warranty anyway, that pump died a few years ago & the replacement for it didn't last 7 months, so if you keep getting rebuilts (you found out you can't get a new stock pump) you'll keep on having the same problems -- you have to get the Frieghtliner upgrade pump to solve the problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Fortunately it was not the costsly injection pump or its computer (yet). It was a crank sensor that failed as it got hot. This resulted in the injection pump not getting a "provide fuel" signal. It wasn't until the code appeared in the computer. Apparently the code does not remain for very long. The telltale signs of the crank sensor failing intermittently is a brief periodic failure of the tachometer. I didn't know enough to put the two and two together, until they were able to pull the code shortly after an occurance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fortunately it was not the costsly injection pump or its computer (yet). It was a crank sensor that failed as it got hot.
That happened to my truck so many years ago I'd forgotten about it!

Thinking back, I went to visit my son in another State, he asked could he take the truck out for a while & I said sure. We didn't go anywhere else after he got back & next morning it wouldn't start -- spun over real fast like it was out of fuel or had a clogged fuel filter & he thought it was something he did, but I knew it wasn't -- something in the electronics, no doubt, but I don't know what. After checking everything I could think of to check I called an independent diesel repair shop in town & the 1st thing the owner said was "crank position sensor" -- he'd seen it enough times before to know & neither he nor I had a scan tool. I had to wait a couple days for a new CPS to be shipped to the small town, but that's OK 'cause that was 2 more days I got to spend with my son & I had a good excuse for not getting back to work!

I do want to give everyone fair warning on that injection pump though 'cause if you keep a '98.5 thru 2001 model ISB Cummins (I'll keep mine forever), sooner or later it will fail & the odds of it giving any advance warning are slim & none. None of the 3 failures I've had gave any warning & the last one happened when I was going 70 mph on the interstate -- engine just quit & for the same reason -- VP44 computer failure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts